What's new
What's new

cp 200 miller welder

steelsponge

Aluminum
Gentlemen and Ladies,
I have an opportunity to buy a miller cp 200 3 phase welder with a 10 e wire feeder for about 450.00 dollars. It came from a high school. It has a twecco gun and a regulator. I've read about converting them to single phase so I am aware of that. And also I have an RPC. This old transformer technology is about as bullet proof as u can get I believe. They came down from 600.00 dollars, which i thought was to much. And i am aware that i can get into an inverter mig welder like an eastwood for about a thousand dollars, dont hate me for swearing lol. I'm leaning old technology. Can the old 10 e feeders be rebuilt like the 50 and 60 series? Well was does everybody think as if i didn't know already. Obviously I will have to put a few hundred dollars into it b 4 it is ready to burn. Any and all thought s are greatly appreciated, Thank you Clyde

I am having a hard time understanding why you would have to spend anything for this machine to work? what I read it should be just plug it in and weld with it.

Lars, the fact that a little over 100 views and only 1 response tells me that I didn't represent my thinking clearly. Some say R P C's work fine with welders and some say that they don't work to full capacity. I printed out the Haas-Kamp single phase conversion, so I know with some careful do diligence I can convert it. There was no way where it is to check and see if the 10 e power feeder was functional so since it was the first power feeder or 1 of the first miller designed and made I was wondering if parts were available in case it didn't. Even a newer used power feeder that would work on that welder would cost as much as a single phase new mig welder I believe. I know some of the guys on this site swear by the old technology, nothing wrong with that however when it is all said and done where will my money bring me the best bang 4 the buck in the long run. New versus 45 years old and certainly some additional expense to get it up and running efficiently. And new would come with a warranty, not saying how good the warranty might be but still something to consider. T Y for responding

Well I will tell you 45 years old is practically new in my shop and everything works. Only used a RPC one time on a welder to check out a RPC for a friend and it made the rough welding Lincoln wire welder run smoother. If you bought the set up with out trying it out then its into the unknown $$. By the way a friend of mine done the conversion on a CP 200 in less than an hour after he had the parts on hand.

Lars thanks for getting back to me. What you say all makes sense. I'm not to worried about the welder. More concerned about the 10 e feeder. I think it is a single roller as well. I'd have to bring a standard 110 plug change it out and then plug it in and see if i could make it work. The 110 for the feeder has a special twist lock plug that plugs into the welder. There is a power switch on the feeder panel to turn it on and off. Those dam feeders are not cheap. I would also think that those little motors that drive the rollers can be rewound. The conversion sounds pretty straight forward as well. I see you are from Minnesota. where abouts in the state. I from Aitkin Minn. Went to school in Pequot lakes. The owner of the welder is a woman. I was told that she bought abunch of equipment from a high school and the welder came with the deal. She's been sitting on it for 4 years and I think she is being a little stubborn about the price especially since I cant try the feeder out without changing the plug if she will let me.

So how many mice have been inside it chewing up wires and peeing all over? I would never go into a deal like that with out being able to try the machine. Those machines come up real often on the Hoff on line auction out of Fridley $250.00- $350.00. I am in St. Paul Park. If the plug that is missing is the one I think it is you can buy one at about any hardware store.

The plug for the feeder is not missing it is just that miller used a special twist lock male plug especially designed for the machine. I would bring a standard 110 male plug, cut the original one off wire the other up so i could plug it in to a wall outlet to see if the motor on the feeder would work when i pulled the trigger on the gun. I think that would work. Maybe not. You are right really it is just a pig in a poke otherwise. TY Clyde

The plug for the feeder is not missing it is just that miller used a special twist lock male plug especially designed for the machine. I would bring a standard 110 male plug, cut the original one off wire the other up so i could plug it in to a wall outlet to see if the motor on the feeder would work when i pulled the trigger on the gun. I think that would work. Maybe not. You are right really it is just a pig in a poke otherwise. TY Clyde

You could just make what I call a "death cord", male 110 plug on one end and either aligator clips or spade terminals on the other. Test lead is more official name. Clip the alligator clips onto the prongs of the wire feeder and see if it works, just dont touch it.
Are you sure it is 110v AC? Could it be DC?

That is a good question Lars. I took plenty of pictures of the welder. On the 10 e feeder it says volts 115. on the welder it says model cp -200 volts 208/230 amps. 20.6 18.6 kw 7 frequency 60 hz. and of course 3 phase that is on the primary side. I just assumed the 10 e feeder was 110 ac. maybe not. I think a miller rep told me that. We will see what they say in the morning. There is a hobart mig 250 amps an older 1 I am going to look at in a couple of days. Im pretty sure that one is in use. Looks cleaner also. I think they were a pretty good welder in their days as well. Still are. Have a good evening Thank you, Clyde

Problem seller, and no testing allowed.

Just walk away.

And who cares if running on a RPC that you can't "Go all the way Rene' ?"

$300 tops. Even if you can run it. It could run for another 40 years or it could die tomorrow. You just don't know.

I really like the cp200 machines myself and I prefer mine to my late model mm251(2?)

That being said it's only worth $2-300 if you can't run it yourself.

What ever happened? Did you buy the machine? In my honest opinion if it has everything it needs to run excluding the bottle or even if it has the bottle and you dont need to do anything other than convert it to run on single phase for $450 you better buy it. If I could find out where this deal is id be on it like a hobo on a hotdog! The cp200 and the 10e wire feeder are pretty bullet proof and if anything is wrong its usually pretty minor! Coming from a school it probably does not have the gabillion hours on it like if it came from a production shop!

I think to buy new TIG welder is hard task and before buy it I read some reviews on For example, I bought SIMADRE POWERFUL TIG200P which is powerful and professional device.

Last edited:
Okay, I got $0.02 I'll toss in...

First of all, the 200-208/230 machine isn't one I've had opportunity to mess with myself, and my conversion is for the 230/460 machine... the one you have isn't represented. I do know that some guys were working on a different scheme, and I DID work with some who wanted to do some experimenting, but I've never seen any of them post results.

That being said, I won't say it's not possible, because the only thing truly impossible, is proving something impossible. Impossible means one is unwilling to dedicate themselves, and invest sufficient resources, to make something happen...

Anyway...

The 10-series feeders are about bulletproof. I think I found a bad one once... it's sitting on a shelf in my radio room, awaiting a cold winter day, with the transmitter tubes glowing warmly, while I sit at the bench and investigate it's situation... I suspect it's not much of a problem, but yes, the 10-series is 110v AC. An ordinary wall cord, aptly connected in some seriously OSHA non-compliant way will immediately prove wether it'll jog the motor and control the speed... and there's really nothing else that can go wrong.

As far as rodent urea, I take the side covers off, and introduce dihydrogen oxide at 2300psi from about six feet away, and it does a wonderful job of sprucing up a CP-series in a BIG hurry. Don't get too close, as it'll blast the wire markers right off... oh, and don't do it next to your wife's car... she WON'T be happy (and don't ask how I know)...

But really... it doesn't matter WHAT method you wind up using to power it, the CP series, at a couple hundred bucks, is an absolute steal... even if you hafta replace the contactor tips, clean the copper contacts, lube the chain and fan motor. It's just a metal-burning animal with a duty cycle that simply does NOT exist in anything you could find at a big-box store, nor could you afford to buy for under 2 grand at the pro shops.

I've had guys at my company mention that the stuff I weld looks so much better than what they do, and they don't understand why. Part of it, is skill, but the other part, is that my 200 is just a better supply. When the come by my house, I hand 'em the gun, and some nasty scraps, and have them try it. They don't know WHY it is, but it stomps the company unit (an MM250) with no effort. Just like engine displacement, there's no substitute for beastly power.

DaveKamp, you are a hard man to get a hold of! A fella you helped out in converting a Lincoln Ideal arc cv400 is currently helping me do the same, however the welder came with a Miller S-54E wire feeder. I'm assuming the two worked with one another, but have been unable to get any concrete info. If you can, PLEASE HELP!!!!

DaveKamp, you are a hard man to get a hold of! A fella you helped out in converting a Lincoln Ideal arc cv400 is currently helping me do the same, however the welder came with a Miller S-54E wire feeder. I'm assuming the two worked with one another, but have been unable to get any concrete info. If you can, PLEASE HELP!!!!

Hi Rik...

Uh... well... wire feeders and welders work together on a few basic principles... and systems integrators have been connecting Brand X welding supplies to Brand Y feeders on their robots for years, so it shouldn't be much of a challenge...

The welding power supply needs a signal of when to send power OUT... if you look in the manual, you'll find pinout for the remote control connection... usually, there's two connections that when you short them together, the welder's output contactor closes, and you've got output...

The wire feeder needs power... sometimes 24v, sometimes 115v... and it USUALLY gets it from the welder, but while there's nothing that absolutely demands that it comes from the welder, it's usually most convenient to do so. Look in your S54E3's manual and see where it's power input connection is, and what it needs, and compare that to the welding supply's feeder power supply output, and of course, the control output too...

Thank so very much Sir! I will be in touch with Cadman this weekend and relay your advice. I would appreciate any input you may have whenever you find a convenient opportunity to give it. Again I cannot thank you enough!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Back