What's new
What's new

A Craftsman, DIY Press Brake, and related subjects

Why all the holes ?

If you get it wrong (your calculations), the thing will deflect too much.

I don't see commercial ones made like this, and there's a reason why.

A little extra weight don't hurt anything (not like it's an air-o-plane)

It does look nice, but I agree that it doesn't make sense to skeletonize the frame. If anything it is a waste of material turning what would have helped the structure and balance, into scrap drops instead.

Maybe He has it on a floor that needed the reduced weight or something that we dont know.

Wow. That's on a whole different level from what I thought I was going to see.

I think it's pretty awesome.

After watching more of the video it certainly looks very well built, and the short sections of sheet he is bending are far from causing any stress on that frame surely. I wish it showed closer how he has the cylinder and linkage setup over the top. He has some other good vids too.

The video of him milling those press brake side plates on the Mikron Mill is pretty crazy!

I was impressed. It takes a lot of work to bring that all together even if one has access to another machine to copy it from with a dial caliper.

Definitely a lot of work scraping too. I didn't recall the accuracy of his dial indicator but lets just say .001". Thats pretty impressive.

Something tells me he doesn't have 10k forklifts in his shop hence the need to lighten the frame.

Back