What's new
What's new

Crazy welding

Don Gitzel

Aluminum
You must have seen videos of a cold welding process coming out of China. It’s also called crazy welding. I cannot find a source for the machines but I think it would work well for installing auto body panels. Does anyone have any experience with this method of welding?

J B Weld...?? :skep:

Or maybe what we call "friction stir welding" when someone makes a typo in a program and uses what's left of an endmill to extrude material........:bawling:

G.E. invented cold welding of strip materials in the 1950's

Machine was quite large (hydraulic press) and had polished dies to mash the material together.

Very limited usage.

Weld body panels... yeah right. All that stuff is glued together with panel bond now.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Cold welding is at times referred to as Diffusion welding, Cold welding is a solid state process in which pressure is used at or near room temperature to produce a type of coalescence of metals with considerable deformation at the cold weld zone. Pressure for welding can be from a number of different types of systems such as mechanical presses, rolls and in some cases for very small work even hand operated tools.
With this process there is a total absence of heat created during the process.
Soft materials are best suited for cold welding, hardened or heat treated alloys are more difficult and in some cases imposable to cold weld.
One of the useful aspects of this process is that dissimilar metals can be joined in this process. The process is far from new ,it's been around for years.

Although we don't do it anymore, for a time we would Cold weld brass band with a special insulator beneath it on to a core base of aluminum. we had to protect the insulator band from splitting out but still the rolling tonnage was quite high to get a correct bond.
Worked great.

Cold welding is at times referred to as Diffusion welding, Cold welding is a solid state process in which pressure is used at or near room temperature to produce a type of coalescence of metals with considerable deformation at the cold weld zone. Pressure for welding can be from a number of different types of systems such as mechanical presses, rolls and in some cases for very small work even hand operated tools.
With this process there is a total absence of heat created during the process.
Soft materials are best suited for cold welding, hardened or heat treated alloys are more difficult and in some cases imposable to cold weld.
One of the useful aspects of this process is that dissimilar metals can be joined in this process. The process is far from new ,it's been around for years.

isn't that how bimetals for thermostats are joined?

You must have seen videos of a cold welding process coming out of China. It’s also called crazy welding. I cannot find a source for the machines but I think it would work well for installing auto body panels. Does anyone have any experience with this method of welding?

Try finding anything on the Zeus Rapid Arc.

It as a MIG power supply that allowed higher current with less dilution (for overlays) they also showed it doing thin metal at rather high speed.

I think I've seen those videos on YouTube you are talking about in my home screen. Looks like it's just a quick pulse weld from a TIG machine to me.

I think the magic keyword here is "pulse arc welding" or "micro pulse arc welding"
Spot Micro Welder - S Series 150 Pulse Arc Micro Tig Machine.
Pulse-Arc - Orion Welders
Pulsed Arc Welding | AMADA WELD TECH

It is sort of TIG welding but pulses are sometimes at higher current than possible with conventional machines and with shorter duration.
And often with sort of scratch start or even with "contact and automatic electrode retract" sort of system like shown here:
Copper Lap Welds - Pulse Arc / Micro TIG - YouTube

That is what you call friction stir welding.

and yes, aluminum autobody parts are put together currently with this process. I work at one that does it.

Back