What's new
What's new

Cutting a keyway on a lathe without live tooling

Strostkovy

Titanium
So I'm sure this has been discussed before, but is there any reason not to cut a keyway by using a CNC lathe like a shaper? Does anyone sell tooling for this?

It seem easy enough to command a spindle orientation then have the slide take a pass. I figure if single pointing (possibly with a different tool for each wall, possibly not) the load would be no big deal to the mechanics of the lathe.

Any reason not to attempt this? I at one point had fun practice grinding some tool steel into a shape that let me cut a tiny groove out of mild steel by pushing it by hand, so I can't imagine loads would be too high if done carefully.

There's the problem, right there. Two axis lathes don't have spindle orientation.

We have yet to power on our lathe, as we got a bunch of more important machinery we have been commissioning and learning. I just assumed any lathe capable of threading would be able to command spindle orientation.

I just assumed any lathe capable of threading would be able to command spindle orientation.
Nope. They have a trigger pulse to orient the start of a threading pass, and that's it. No way to control position of the spindle and no way to lock it, either.

Outta luck on that one.

(We're talking normal 2 axis lathe here, not one with live tooling etc etc)

Nope. They have a trigger pulse to orient the start of a threading pass, and that's it. No way to control position of the spindle and no way to lock it, either.

Outta luck on that one.

(We're talking normal 2 axis lathe here, not one with live tooling etc etc)

Ah, that's a bummer. My only machining experience is on mills, and this older Haas lathe was just something we got because we had some room left on an equipment loan and the few turned parts we order are never supplied in a timely manner.

Fortunately I don't actually need to cut keyways like this, currently.

Ja, mills have to orient to do the tool change, so they come that way. People do this trick on milling machines, so if you have one .....

Honestly I'll probably be making most of our round parts standing up in a mill anyway. That makes the keyway broaching much easier.

I haven't shaped a lot of parts that way, but I never had a problem with the spindle turning without a spindle lock. I just put it in low gear. YMMV, especially if you have a hollow shaft motor for a spindle drive.

My newest 2 axis lathe even has a programmable M19Sxxx to set the orientation wherever you want.
Interesting, can't imagine what purpose that serves. Variable lead threading ?

Anyway, most do not. Even Mazaks. We had a 40" one and a quikturn, no spindle control. And I'd bet $5 an older Haas like Strostkovy has doesn't, either.

Of course if you don't care if the spindle moves, what the heck. I just grew up thinking it was better to hold the part stationary while cutting on it.

Back