What's new
What's new

Anyone Own/Use a "speedy Bender" or "RotoDie" press brake ?

DDoug

Diamond
Been looking at getting a 10' model speedy bender, online spec shows the Chicago D&K is a 25 ton, and the RotoDie is a 15 ton.

However the manual for the RotoDie states bending 10 ga 10' long using a 2" wide bottom die.

My project could use a 2" bottom die (bend is not that close to the edge).

How are these to use ? Job would be .090 mild steel the full 10' long, maybe 10 bends a day.

I have no first hand experience with them, but I do know someone in town who purchased that style of brake and was never too happy with it. I can't remember who theirs was made by. Iirc the complaints were geared towards not bending straight over the full width.

From first glance it appears to be a way to avoid the pain of rigging/handling a 10' bottom die every time you want to change the metal thickness or bend radius.

An "X" shaped 4-way die would do the same function and at probably lower cost.

The tonnage chart says Nay-Nay for 15 tons on 2" wide bottom die over 10' for .090"....which I had to look and see if my catalog even had 13ga...it does in 2 sizes compared to a couple dozen choices for 12ga and 14ga.

From first glance it appears to be a way to avoid the pain of rigging/handling a 10' bottom die every time you want to change the metal thickness or bend radius.

An "X" shaped 4-way die would do the same function and at probably lower cost.

The tonnage chart says Nay-Nay for 15 tons on 2" wide bottom die over 10' for .090"....which I had to look and see if my catalog even had 13ga...it does in 2 sizes compared to a couple dozen choices for 12ga and 14ga.

yes to the tonnage chart.

I think the big thing (to me at least) is much less weight up top, as the cylinders are under (but it is not an up acting press brake) so you doo lose the
ability to work off the ends, but gain a compact machine.

The speedy die slid the bottom dies in/out the back, the roto die well, rotates.

I'm not interested in any of that. The job I want to doo is a simple 90 degree
bend.

BTW rolling a 4-way die (have done it many times at my friends shop) is a PIA even with pre-made links & pins to use the brake to lift the die.

Plus there is one nearby that is "inexpensive".

Back