What's new
What's new

Di-Acro brake #4 - any manuals around?

specfab

Titanium
I recently acquired a Di-Acro Brake #4, which is a finger brake of 24" width, and (I assume) 16 gauge capacity. I am interested in finding a parts/operating manual for this specific model, as opposed to the available manuals found for current Di-Acro 24" finger brakes. This machine appears to me to be an older model, maybe late 40's early 50's design, incorporating finger-clamping screws that operate directly on the finger and pull the finger up into place through a vertical slot in a cast iron bridge clamp bar. The ones I have seen previously (and used) typically had some pieces of steel angle used with screws to clamp the fingers using a front-side slot, which is certainly an easier scheme to work with. In any case, if anyone has a source for older Di-Acro literature, I'd be interested. Thanks --

I recently acquired a Di-Acro Brake #4, which is a finger brake of 24" width, and (I assume) 16 gauge capacity. I am interested in finding a parts/operating manual for this specific model, as opposed to the available manuals found for current Di-Acro 24" finger brakes. This machine appears to me to be an older model, maybe late 40's early 50's design, incorporating finger-clamping screws that operate directly on the finger and pull the finger up into place through a vertical slot in a cast iron bridge clamp bar. The ones I have seen previously (and used) typically had some pieces of steel angle used with screws to clamp the fingers using a front-side slot, which is certainly an easier scheme to work with. In any case, if anyone has a source for older Di-Acro literature, I'd be interested. Thanks --

Can you post a picture, I may have a PDF of the manual.

Kevin

Brake-small3A.jpgBrake-small2A.jpgBrake-small1A.jpg

Here's some pics (I think). The brake fingers are not attached in the pictures.

That looks like a custom made machine, I have never seen one in that configuration.

I will look through my manuals, but unlikely I have one for that machine.

Kevin

That looks like a custom made machine, I have never seen one in that configuration.

Kevin

There is definitely some custom stuff with the back gaging. I don't care about that especially, it's readily apparent. I'm more interested in a general parts/operation manual for the Di-Acro Brake #4, as the casting shows. If you have anything, that would be great.

Might have more luck googling box and pan folder, as thats what they normally get described as these days.

IMHO the usage is pretty generic, so a how to manual for one with just a little thought should get you going on yours.

I pretty much have this same finger brake and in all my searches I have been unable to find a manual for it. My name plate reads di-acro Brake No. 4 with serial number 4971. On the name plate it reads O'Neil-Irwin Mfg. Co.

My interest in the manual is generally for parts ID, and any dimensional relationship info that may be present regarding finger dimensions (factory fresh), and any other details of construction that would allow ID of custom vs. factory-supplied parts. The operation of the machine is pretty simple. It does have a small amount of deformation of the clamp finger support bar, and I'm mulling whether to try taking a skim cut on the finger reference surfaces to straighten the clamping line. It really only matters for longer bends using multiple fingers, but this may be the best time to do it...

I got this from a retiring toolmaker who ran his own prototype shop for a number of years, and it looks like he built the entire backgage assembly himself. Shop-built graduated micrometer adjustments, and a really thin stop blade made from blue-tempered spring steel about .008 thick, so it can slip in under the clamp fingers for small work down to about .010 thick.

It has the same info as noted by tfoley above, mfrs cast-in IDs, but no s/n plate anywhere. Probably lost in some of the work done to the machine in the past. In any case, still looking for any info out there...

I downloaded the 24/36-in brake manual from the old Diacro web site before they changed owners and can send that to me if you will PM me with your email address. Be forewarned that it is mostly just exploded parts diagrams and part numbers.

Mike

I downloaded the 24/36-in brake manual from the old Diacro web site before they changed owners and can send that to me if you will PM me with your email address. Be forewarned that it is mostly just exploded parts diagrams and part numbers.

Mike

That would be the same manuals I have, hopefully it has the info the OP needs.

Kevin

Mike

Mike, I sent you a PM with email address. Thanks for the offer --

Matt

Lazz, thanks -- I went to those places as well, and didn't find what I had hoped might be there. Continuing search...

Di-Acro No. 4

Kevin

No, it is not custom made. I have one just like it.

Back