What's new
What's new

Diacro 16-96 press brake trouble shooting

DynMetalworks

Plastic
I recently purchased a Diacro 16-96 press brake. I'm having an issue with the motor going over current when the hydro system is loaded. At idle its fine, only pulls 3.5 amps, but as the hydro system gets loaded I'll see 16+ amps and eventually trip the breaker. I've checked both the adjustable PRV and the internal PRV along with the suction screen. With the tank open I have good fluid return. Kind of a loss of what to check next.

Do you hear the pressure relief valve working? i.e. is the system reaching maximum pressure or not?

The motor is rated at 9 amps. Yes both the adjustable PRV and the internal PRV are working as they should.

I mean are they open or close during the fault condition?

Basically, do you have an idea of the hydraulic pressure when the motor is pulling too much current?

My best guess is that this has a two stage pump and the pressure is getting high enough (either because it's trying to make some tonnage or because the hydraulics are stuck) in the high displacement mode of the pump that it is overloading the motor without exceeding the system pressure.

I looked up some pictures of the model and see now it is a hydraulic motor and cam machine, so a two speed pump is unlikely. Check that all electrical connections are tight, as a loose leg on a three phase motor can start fine but suffer under load.

There is a port on the pump to attach a gauge. The manual suggests bottoming the ram then checking for max pressure.
The single phase theory is a good one.

I looked up some pictures of the model and see now it is a hydraulic motor and cam machine, so a two speed pump is unlikely. Check that all electrical connections are tight, as a loose leg on a three phase motor can start fine but suffer under load.

I mean are they open or close during the fault condition?

Basically, do you have an idea of the hydraulic pressure when the motor is pulling too much current?

My best guess is that this has a two stage pump and the pressure is getting high enough (either because it's trying to make some tonnage or because the hydraulics are stuck) in the high displacement mode of the pump that it is overloading the motor without exceeding the system pressure.

I have a gauge on the PRV per the manual. Any pressure above 250ish will stall the motor if the foot bend control or the hand control for the ram adj is depressed fully. I've verified the internal 1500psi PRV is working.

On electrical side of things, I've checked the amperage draw at both idle and under load. I've also check the voltage on all three legs and it's with in 5% on all three legs.

The fact the the stall happens on both hydraulic circuits (hydro-mech motors and ram adj motor) makes me think its something in the return plumbing inside the stack valves or it's an electrical issue.

I also have a mill and lathe running off the same phase con (not running at the same time of course) and both of them run without issues.

Back