Disc Grinder or Belt Grinder? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Made this 12 x 80 sander about 25 years ago from parts salvaged from a grainer. 3hp three ph motor 3750 rpm never stalled it yet. Belts last 3-5 years unless used by a novice. Very loud. I have 5 other belt sanders with different setups but if I had to choose a sander, bigger is better
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_4963.jpg  

2. Likes Mud, michiganbuck liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by true temper View Post
    Belt for sure, pay the extra to get one with a VFD controller on it. It only hurts once, you will thank me later.
    Bought my 760 used years ago best money I've spent. If was looking for another I would definitely opt for a VFD version.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have had a belt/disc combo and I can't remember the last time I used the disc.

5. Likes Greg White liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

never liked disk. they like to eat fingernails for lunch. happy w/ an old 6x48" rockwell
    and a 4x106" somaca wet/dry .

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I too have a 4 x 106 Somaca wet sander, they are usually set up for glass grinding and they turn too slowly for metal.
    I sped mine up and it is loud but cuts well. We use it every day multiple times. My only complaint is the grit that remains in the box after the water has drained tends to dry as hard as...well steel! I have to use my air chisel to knock the stuff off and scrape out the box.
    However the water keeps the dust down and that is a huge plus, also it cools the workpiece which is a bonus.
    Also the original motor for glass grinding was too small so we upped it to a 3 phase 3 hp which does the job well, tons of power, can't slow it down.

I also have two, 2" x 48' rockwell belt grinders, these are on one end of a dual grinder with a 6" wheel on the other end.
    Both get used but the Somaca gets used more often because of the low dust factor and the extra power.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Both, I have a 24" disc 5HP 3ph with a vfd. Shop built, the table goes around the disc, has fwd/rev so you can use both sides of the table with the sparks going down. Klingspor discs. It will turn a 4x4 into saw dust as fast as you can feed it, it's an animal! I don't know how anyone can use a 12" or smaller disc, worthless in my opinion although I used to like a 12" before I built my big one. I also have a 4x48 belt and my favorite, a 2x72 Square wheel sander.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Call Burr King and have a rep bring a 760 to your shop. They will set it up with a couple of different contact wheels and you can decide for yourself. As they say "One test is worth a thousand opinions". You can also put scotchbrite wheels on a Burr King, something a disk sander can't offer. If you have never run parts on a rubber contact wheel, you don't know what you are missing.
    +1 on the above suggestions for the variable speed. It's some extra coin, but it greatly expands the possibilities of the machine.
    You mentioned your small shop, I have 380 square feet, how about you?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

After reading this topic, may just have to keep/try the 12" disc I recently acquired cheap. Never was a fan of disc, but never had a 12 before.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by M. Moore View Post
    I too have a 4 x 106 Somaca wet sander, they are usually set up for glass grinding and they turn too slowly for metal.
    I sped mine up and it is loud but cuts well. We use it every day multiple times. My only complaint is the grit that remains in the box after the water has drained tends to dry as hard as...well steel! I have to use my air chisel to knock the stuff off and scrape out the box.
    However the water keeps the dust down and that is a huge plus, also it cools the workpiece which is a bonus.
    Also the original motor for glass grinding was too small so we upped it to a 3 phase 3 hp which does the job well, tons of power, can't slow it down.

I also have two, 2" x 48' rockwell belt grinders, these are on one end of a dual grinder with a 6" wheel on the other end.
    Both get used but the Somaca gets used more often because of the low dust factor and the extra power.
    Interesting. I have not used a wet belt before. Did you use it wet after you sped it up? I am looking at doing some everyday grinding of carbon fiber so speed is your friend.
    Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cycle,
    I sped up the machine to the correct SFM for steel grinding. I never use it without the water.
    It does splash off the tool rest a bit but not too bad, it was hard to regulate the water flow to be just right so I put the water pump on a foot switch. The problem is you want a lot of water to wet the belt and a smaller amount to maintain.

Michael

13. Likes Cycle1000 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks, I swear I did a search for wet belt sanders a few months back and got zip.
    But after searching for the Somaca and finding it, they are everywhere
    If I could fuss with one and make it work it would be so much better that my current setup
    Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Gary, it might work fine at the factory speed. The Somaca does not come with a pump, it is a line supply and drain system, not sure why. Maybe the glass particles going back in the water to the belt is bad?
    I just added a bucket and pump.

16. Likes Cycle1000 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would go belt also. It is tough when limited space is a big issue because disc is also handy yet belts are more so.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yep belt grinder for sure a three wheel one.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dedave View Post
    After reading this topic, may just have to keep/try the 12" disc I recently acquired cheap. Never was a fan of disc, but never had a 12 before.
    I'm sure your 3-in-1 machine will spin that 12" disc just fine......
    Nooby, Nooby Doo, Shop Task 3 in 1 questions

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Resurrecting this thread as it came up just at the right time.

Until now, I got by with a plane-jane cheapo 1 x 42 Wilton. Clean up sawed edges of bars or slugs before they go into a vise or chuck, remove bigger burrs from milling ops
    before the next op and that sort of things...
    It works OK, but that's about it. Just OK.

Now however I have a larger order of fabrication type parts to make out of DOM tube.
    Saw cut, then a bunch of milling, then weld preps for fit-ups, then weld, then finally make the welds cosmetic.

Needless to say that the Wilton ( and it's ilk ) type of sander ain't gonna cut it for that purpose.
    This job is substantial enough to justify a good belt grinder.
    I'll be using it to clean up the cold sawn ends first, then round all the sharp edges from milling and grind in the weld preps.
    After welding, I'll be smoothing the welds, clean up the overburns from the thinner material surfaces, and finally prep the whole assembly for semigloss powder coating.
    For reference, material is 2" and 1 3/4" OD, .094 and .063 wall DOM tube and 10Ga or 18Ga cold rolled sheet.( along with the just about everything else, TI, NI, SS, AL for general deburring )

So, I was thinking about the very same Burr King 760 as the OP, specifically the 78110 model that is 2HP, 220V/single phase with VFD.

Question:
    Should that model be sufficient for my needs?
    How/why is the VFD beneficial? ( I do not mind overkill, so just asking )
    What would be the best size belts to get? Should I go the full 2" width or narrower is better for flexibility in inside corners?
    What type of abrasive should I get? Now I'm using the blue Norzon Bluefires and they're pretty good ( even on the mediocre sander ) but is there a better, longer lasting type?

Again, I am not a fab shop nor am I planning to be, but this job will need something that makes our life much easier.

Thank You

21. Likes Cycle1000 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Different strokes for different folks, but I would not be happy with anything narrower than a 6" belt and a platen to back it up. Not saying that's what everybody needs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ries View Post
    I have had a belt/disc combination in my shop for 35 or 40 years. And I use the belt at most 5% of the time.

Could be that the disc is better for your particular use mode, but I wonder if it's simply because of insufficient belt SFM.