What's new
What's new

DIY Plasma table. Where to start?

www.candcnc.com for a good website with good DIY electronics and software. Go to Precision Plasma LLC for mechanical parts of the machine.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

So I don't want to build a knuckle head home owner/hobbyist unit. Something more industrial. This is kinda what I was thinkin:

http://www.cnccookbook.com/img/PlasmaTable/Ideas/7604P9270002_2.jpg

But I'm not just talking industrial table/gantry system, I'm talking the whole set up. What cnc systems? Software? Hardware? Where to start? Am I nuts? Would it be cheaper just to buy?

No, you're not nuts :) Well, if you are I am too :D I'm about 1/2 way finished with mine.

There have been several plasma tables built from these plans. Mechmate Its a very well though out design with hundreds of them working around the world. You can buy many of the parts from the owner of that site which keeps it the build very easy..

Check it out...

Some of those knucklehead hobbyist units are actually pretty good, unless you have monkeys for operators who feel that the ideal tool to line up the edge of 20' x 8' x 4" thick plates of steel is the inside edge of the gantry. Don't laugh... I went in to fix a machine that I'd retrofitted earlier in the year that for some reason started to go out of square and trip the drives out... When I went to investigate, I found 1 side of the gantry actually hanging off the rail on one corner. There were these greasy dust covered smears on the inside of the gantry, that were camoflaged to ,look like something from years ago. Half the battle in fixing machines is figuring out how they really broke in the first place... often the evidence tells a vastly different story than the operator. Turns out the bolts that held the gantry leg to the frame were sheared and the end truck was sliding free....

If you have sane operators, I've seen guys get good results from Plasmacam and Torchmate systems, although I prefer a real drive and control myself.

There are dozens of plasma kits out there though.

Take a look at
Machine Overview « CNC Mogul

for example.

Here are a few things to keep in mind if you want decent plasma cuts:

-Speed range is critical. There are quite a few low cost machines on the market (from major suppliers even) that have an upper speed limit of 150 inches per minute.....above that speed they become extremely unstable. Plasma is a speed dependant process. On 1" steel with an 85 amp plasma you may be cutting at 20 inches per minute, yet a few minutes later you may need to cut some 18 gauge.....which cuts best at over 300 inches per minute.

-Acceleration capability at all speed ranges is critical. When cutting thick material it is relatively easy to accelerate to full speed almost instantly as your full speed likely is rather slow (example above of 20 inches per minute on 1" steel). Acceleration is also very important at high speeds....think about having to cut fine details and small holes when cutting thin material at over 200 ipm. Most low cost machines....or at least machines with poor acceleration or improperly sized drives will never come close to the speed required to get best cut quality on fine features. Incorrect speed changes the cut quality. Wider kerf, heavy dross, thicker heat affected zone, poor edge angularity and material warpage are all by products off poor acceleration. Some of the major brand industrial cnc controls allow you to have more than one set of acceleration and drive tuning parameters based on speed ranges......this allows you to fine tune the drive parameters to get best performance i different speed ranges. I have not seen any of the low cost systems with this capability.

-I hear lots of complaints about these lightweight, entry level machines.....but keep in mind that light weight moving parts contributes to the machines ability to accelerate. Too flimsy and you will get mechanical flex and vibrations that affect cut quality, too heavy and it is difficult to get to speed. I have been working with high end, heavy duty industrial cnc plasma maniufacturers for over 30 years. Some of todays heavy industrial machines with 30' wide gantries have an amazing ability to accelerate and follow accurate cut paths even at high speeds......they are expensive...generally well over $120k for a small 12 x 20 machine, and a few hundred thousand for a large machine. I have a $12k PlasmaCam in my home shop that cuts very well, has excellent acceleration and the ability to cut at 400 ipm.....it has a very lightweight gantry and carriage and servo drives. It is no comparison to industrial quality machines in terms of how it would hold up under high production use, but for my hobbyist use it is a perfect machine.

-Height control. Pierce height needs to be accurate and 100% repeatable. One pierce too close on material thicknesses over 3/16" and you will damage the nozzle orifice, once the orifice has even a microscopic nick....expect varying cut angularity. Cut height needs to be accurate to plus or minus .005" of the plasma torch manufacturers suggested height while cutting. The torch height control needs to be intimately tied to the cnc to ensure that the height remains constant and correct during slowdown for cornering and fine features and during kerf crossing.

-Software. CAD is pretty universal, better CAD drawing programs will make you more efficient at drawing parts, there are many variations based on specific needs be the drawings artistic or geometric in nature. CAM in its simplest form inputs the CAD drawing file and applies lead ins, lead outs, cut directions and kerf compensation. It then generates the machine code that is sent to the machine control software (like Mach3, or a few others). More complex CAM can load cutting configurations such as speed, amperage, arc voltage [pierce height and a few dozen others.....makingthe processes less operator dependant, and more sophisticated CAM actually ties into large companies inventory systems to track and monitor plate inventory and remnants, as well as doing geometric nesting of odd shape parts and supllying cut cost and plate utilization reports.

So, don't just build the heaviest machine you can build so it will last forever, make sure you take into account the motion control needs of the plasma cutting process. heavier machines means larger, inertia matched drives in order to make a large machine perform as well as a small, light machine.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

I think I would start by making some "Declarations"....

Figure out just what you want to cut, and what accuracy you need/desire.

Pick a plasma power supply and torch that does this, Re-read Jim colt's
excellent write up, and build around what level of accuracy you need to position
and move the torch.

Above all consider material loading and unloading. You want all gantry side rails bellow bed level to aid this.

A plasma table is designed to work with whatever plasma torch you have whether hand-held or a full blown CNC Torch. The mounting plate has been designed to be adaptable as possible. You can either attach the torch with zip-ties or U Bolts depending on how often you need to take it off. You can also have a look at the affordable cnc spamming killer with 4'x4', 4'x8', 5'x10', or 6'x12'.
View attachment 293568
What this message really says
"Hello friends, I am a spammer from communist china, and my sole job is to dredge up old threads
that my googling searches find, and drop this little pre-written turd with linky here.

So I can get paid every Friday."

china01.JPG

There has to be a way to ban Chinese IP addresses from being posted here . . .

Not to mention that old Brett Collins has a popular face on lots of "reputable" websites for Chinese products - of course he keeps changing his name every time his photo is used.

Chinese02.JPG

I'm still looking for that backwards-tracing-electronic-grenade.

Find a spam post, click on the link with the magic wand, and blow up the hosting server.

Of course, you'd have to be really special to use it...... :D

I'm still looking for that backwards-tracing-electronic-grenade.

Find a spam post, click on the link with the magic wand, and blow up the hosting server.

Of course, you'd have to be really special to use it...... :D

Wouldn't that be a "DNS attack" ?

Back