What's new
What's new

Dynasty 200Dx Wiring

SLOEIT

Cast Iron
Hey all,

I am going to get a longer cable for my 200Dx (the 3 foot provided is a bit short). I was looking to add about 20-30 feet of cable (10ga).

Would the best method of attaching this to the machine be to open it up and reattach the wires INSIDE Of the welder? Or just splice onto the cable thats already attached.

Thanks for the info!

Nick

3 foot? You should have at least 6' on their from the factory.

10ga is a little light. 8 minimum, 6 would be better. The oem cord may be 10 but that is based on a 6' cord. Longer lengths at this gauge will start creating voltage drops. If you were running 480 3 phase then no problem with 10ga.

I would put a twist lock plug on the end of the existing cable and make the other piece an extension cord. Nothing worse than trying to manhandle a welder when it has a 50 pound bundle of cord attached to it.

Macona, I was hoping you would respond. You seem knowledgable as hell about these welders!

Your right the cable is about 6ft. And its 12 ga.

The owners manual specifies that up to 75ft. of 12 ga. can be used for 60% duty cycle. So I was figuring 10 would be better. Your right, 8ga would probably be the min safest.

You raise a good point about the twist lock cable. But just for reference, is it pretty straightforward to just run a new cable into the box?

Thanks!

Its been a ling time since I have had a Dynasty or Maxstar 200 apart (Thats a good thing!) So I really dont remember how it is wired in.

I am just guessing here but the cord will be terminated in 4 ring terminals, red, white, and black will go to the switch where it is probably held in with three 10-32 screws with a 5/16 head. The switch will probably be held in place with two 1/4" bolts with 3/8" heads. The ground wire will go to a stud on the central aluminum support tray that runs the length of the unit.

Back