What's new
What's new

Edge forming on 14 ga. SS sheet

TFPace

Stainless
I am not versed on sheet metal and had a call from a company asking to make two cover plates . The edge detail on this piece requires what I would call for an edge roller. Rolling light gage mild steel is one thing. Rolling 14ga SS in another.

What machine is used for this piece?

Thanks,

TomIMG_2020_07_08_11_22_43_892_resized.jpgIMG_2020_07_08_11_21_53_831_resized.jpg

I am not versed on sheet metal and had a call from a company asking to make two cover plates . The edge detail on this piece requires what I would call for an edge roller. Rolling light gage mild steel is one thing. Rolling 14ga SS in another.

What machine is used for this piece?

Thanks,

TomView attachment 294295View attachment 294296

The shape of the corner would most easily be done with a full size die in a stamping press that blanks and forms the whole door panel. A small scale example is sheet metal cover plates for electrical outlets.

Doing a small number of parts would be more practical with a different design. I suppose low volume could be done by notching the corners, then using a press brake to curl the edges, then welding the resulting gaps at the corners and hand finishing the weld beads.

Looks like an expensive part any way you do it.

Larry

The shape of the corner would most easily be done with a full size die in a stamping press that blanks and forms the whole door panel. A small scale example is sheet metal cover plates for electrical outlets.

Doing a small number of parts would be more practical with a different design. I suppose low volume could be done by notching the corners, then using a press brake to curl the edges, then welding the resulting gaps at the corners and hand finishing the weld beads.

Looks like an expensive part any way you do it.

Larry

Larry,

My thoughts exactly !

Thanks,

Tom

Back