What's new
What's new

Electric hydraulic shop press similar to Dake 25DA ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
Before I order a Dake 25 ton electric pump press wonder if there are other makes I should consider. 15 to 30 ton capacity would do (the Dake is 25 ton and cost about $4,685)

7499094-11.jpg

If you're looking for a good press dake seems hard to beat, price and all. However if it's going to be doing light work and import tools fit the bill I have seen several for less $$. But just out of plane curiosity why such a light press? I have a 60 ton and frequently need bigger. Several times I needed closer to 300 ton.

Enerpac makes similar presses but even more expensive. I have both a Dake 50H (manual)and an Enerpac electric 50 ton. You can get the Enerpac with manual or solenoid valves on the electric pump still I think, which might save some $$. The Dake manual head is REALLY nice, though the frame is not nearly as heavy duty as the electric Enerpac. I have 2 manual 50H Dakes for sale, PM if interested. Past experience has the Dake seals lasting almost forever where the Enerpac I have the seals crumbled when I'm guessing it was about 10 years old. My Enerpac has a 10,000 psi (expensive) pump, my guess is the Dake you pictured runs at a lower pressure with a less expensive pump but I'm not sure. Dake makes integrated electric or air driven heads besides the one with the separate electric pump in your photo. I had the Dake integrated electric some time ago and the sensitivity of the variable control lever was nicer than the on off solenoid valve on my current Enerpac. The Dake head is also easier to shift left to right with a big wingnut on top versus needing tools for the Enerpac

Before I order a Dake 25 ton electric pump press wonder if there are other makes I should consider. 15 to 30 ton capacity would do (the Dake is 25 ton and cost about $4,685)

7499094-11.jpg

That frame looks imported, as well as cheaply made.

The pump appears to be one from a automotive lift.

I built my own 60 tonner for virtually no cost.....the frame is a copy of the old Oz made Servex 60 tonner ,best press ever made,cylinder is a offcut of ram tube, ....ID to suit what push you want at 3000psi....pump/motor unit was a commercial one with tank and joystick,......at 70 ton push (calc from pressure) the frame deflects .010" under load ,and shows no permanent set......the cheap ones bow under load ,stay bowed ,and the single bar support of the cross beam doesn not resist bending of the beam.

A friend has an air-over-oil press in the lightweight size like you are talking about. Can't remember the brand but one neat thing about it is, lots of stroke. You can run push broaches with it and not run out of travel. Also, not as messy and only needs air..

Nah...all C-channel, US made with US steel and a lot heavier than imports. Dake's been making them this way for forever (570 lbs in this size). Going to buy a Dake 50DA (75 ton frame with a 50 ton cylinder) in the next day or two. As the other poster noted, Dake uses lower pressure/larger ram. Easy on seals.

I'd personally get a power pack, valves, a cylinder, and some hoses from surpluscenter.com . They tend to have pretty decent prices on one off stuff. Either retrofit to a hand press frame or build one. Not a very difficult project.

Datageek, did you get the press? Opinions? I'm about to pull the trigger on one myself. I like the long stroke and since I do lots of 7/8" and 1" broaches lately the extra stroke would be welcome. Currently 6" stroke on air/hydraulic is slow!

Nah...all C-channel, US made with US steel and a lot heavier than imports. Dake's been making them this way for forever (570 lbs in this size). Going to buy a Dake 50DA (75 ton frame with a 50 ton cylinder) in the next day or two. As the other poster noted, Dake uses lower pressure/larger ram. Easy on seals.

Datageek, did you get the press? Opinions? I'm about to pull the trigger on one myself. I like the long stroke and since I do lots of 7/8" and 1" broaches lately the extra stroke would be welcome. Currently 6" stroke on air/hydraulic is slow!
Have you considered getting a big arbor press? Dake makes them up to 15 ton capacity last I checked. You can get a 6 ton for a few grand.

Sent from the ENIAC using Tapatalk

How is a non air powered unit "more messy" than one that only needs air?
Electric presses are way messier than an air-over-hydraulic press. All them electrons. They get mixed in with the hydraulic oil and if they get on your work they're hard to wash off.

Sent from somewhere inside your house using Tapatalk

That makes as much sense as a meatball in a bathtub.
I need more context. Perhaps the bathtub is over top of a fire and someone is cooking up a mean batch of meatballs.
32af39414b5efc6a7096c6689bc8adf6.jpg

Did I say meatballs? It's meatball. Singular. Stop undercomplicating it.
One big ass whopper of a meatball. Got it.

Perhaps there isn't a large enough stock pot on hand and the party just can't go on without a giant meatball for everyone to share. So... a couple guys go into the house and grab the ol' claw foot and drag it out side.

I mean, I dunno about you, but I kinda LIKE cooking on cast iron.
5a7b7893e6233c9b5ece577590f01451.jpg

Guy wanted to buy my 60 ton shop made press a week ago.....but,if I sell the press ,I wont have any visitors at all....So ,Ill keep it.......Anyhoo,its worth keepin for the comments like ,It wont straighten this,my (crap) Chinee press bent just trying......guy brought a motorbike bottom end round,said he was pressing the crankpin in,when his 30 ton press wouldnt move it any more (about 040 short ).....so he wants to take the pin out again,not a good idea IMHO.......so I do that,unfortunately the pin has friction welded around the edge ,and scores the bore in the flywheel.....If I d pushed it on another mm,all would have been well,until next rebuild anyway.

Back