Which ESAB Welder?
Close
Login to Your Account
Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Posts
    129
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    16
    Likes (Received)
    16

    Default Which ESAB Welder?

    It's end of year which to me means buy stuff at a tax rate discount so Uncle Sam doesn't get it.
    Anywho, trying to decide between the new ESAB Rebel 235 3-in-1 machine or the Fabricator 252i, also 3-in-1. As of now I do zero field work and don't plan to(if I do have to I have a small 110v Hobart that could do the job). I'll be doing light fabrication of brackets and small structural stuff(cart frames, table frames, etc.).

    On paper the Fabricator 252i is a better shop machine than the Rebel 235 and it's like 800 bucks cheaper not to mention can put out a bit more amps. Is the dual voltage and SMIG worth that premium?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    523
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    581
    Likes (Received)
    575

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ME Newb View Post
    It's end of year which to me means buy stuff at a tax rate discount so Uncle Sam doesn't get it.
    Anywho, trying to decide between the new ESAB Rebel 235 3-in-1 machine or the Fabricator 252i, also 3-in-1. As of now I do zero field work and don't plan to(if I do have to I have a small 110v Hobart that could do the job). I'll be doing light fabrication of brackets and small structural stuff(cart frames, table frames, etc.).

    On paper the Fabricator 252i is a better shop machine than the Rebel 235 and it's like 800 bucks cheaper not to mention can put out a bit more amps. Is the dual voltage and SMIG worth that premium?
    I would say no. You are buying a 250 amp welder.... You will always be running it on 240v to get the output. SMIG is just a gadget that will help you to avoid learning about the relationship between wire size, wire feed speed and voltage.

    I would buy the Fabricator 252.

    BTW if you look at the specs, the Fabricator's max output is 300 amps, whereas the Rebel's max output is 250 amps

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    12,607
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3549
    Likes (Received)
    5678

    Default

    Dual voltage is a interesting one, i intentionally bought the hypertherm plasma cutter 30xp over its bigger brothers as i could take it and use it any were and very much have done. Do you need that capability? Welding wise if you dont need to work away from 240V then IME it pays to get the most powerful plant you can. But if you envision the need to weld away from home, then alternative commonly available power feeds is a nice option.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Country
    NORWAY
    Posts
    831
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    297
    Likes (Received)
    170

    Default

    Even if you're not doing any kind of heavy work both of those seem very small to me for welding professionally. And without water cooling. But obviously you know what kind of needs you have much better than us. In my experience it is just very annoying to weld without cooling when you need it

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Posts
    129
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    16
    Likes (Received)
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adama View Post
    Dual voltage is a interesting one, i intentionally bought the hypertherm plasma cutter 30xp over its bigger brothers as i could take it and use it any were and very much have done. Do you need that capability? Welding wise if you dont need to work away from 240V then IME it pays to get the most powerful plant you can. But if you envision the need to weld away from home, then alternative commonly available power feeds is a nice option.
    I have a smaller Hobart 140 that I can use on 110 if I need too so I ended up choosing to go with the Fabricator over the Rebel.

    Quote Originally Posted by Panza View Post
    Even if you're not doing any kind of heavy work both of those seem very small to me for welding professionally. And without water cooling. But obviously you know what kind of needs you have much better than us. In my experience it is just very annoying to weld without cooling when you need it
    That duty cycle is rated at 104F ambient. I hope it's never that hot in my shop and I'll likely never be running 1/2" fab work continuously. More like 1/4" and maybe some 3/8". I do plan on getting some fixtures made so it should make cycle times pretty quick. We'll see if I run into cooling problems.


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •