What's new
What's new

(Euro) Press Brake Tooling: 2V dies and question

rbmgf7

Aluminum
So, pretty silly question. New to bending.

I have an older Amada press brake that had no tooling so I picked up a standard punch set and a 4 way die. So far that's carried me through what I've needed.

I'm looking through Amada's tooling catalog and see the 2V dies.

Is there a special rail to offset the V's on the 2V?

Also, what's the sash tooling? I guess is 'sash' a term for something? I see it's pretty narrow so I assume it's clearance for tight bends.

Has anyone machined dies? I see the laminated way by laser or plasma. I did that once and worked ok. I know some dies have a 88 deg V and others have 90. Not sure if there's such thing as a press brake die endmill for cutting the V's? lol.

Gosh this stuff is cool but the tooling is $$$.

I'm also short 3 holders but I'm concerned they're some knock off set since I had to have a shop machine more clearance in them since I couldn't get the punch to seat into the holder.

You can mill short sections of press brake tooling, but at a certain point milling loses out to a planer.

Just about the only thing a planer is still good at.

I don't know how hard tooling is made. Probably planed or milled then hardened and ground.

There's a reason why it costs what it does. It's not easy to make.

Precision sectional tooling is made on 5 axis machining centers in 500mm or 1000mm pieces. 4 way dies are OK for low tolerance work but anything precise and they are useless. Plus they are usually the full length of the machine so box bends are out unless you want to cut them.
The 2v dies drop into a precision milled slot and you put the V you want to use under the punch, flip around to use other V.
Sash punches are made for things like metal door jambs. Just another form of goose neck punch.

I'm looking through Amada's tooling catalog and see the 2V dies.

Is there a special rail to offset the V's on the 2V?

For the Amada style die holder, the 2v self centering die would use a die adapter like this.

Item # 4011, Two-Vee and Quick-Change Die Holders On Fab Supply, Inc.

Most of your Amada style Euro tooling is going to come in 835 and 415mm lengths, rather than the 500 and 1000mm that I guess is standard for whatever machine Scruffy has.

Precision ground 4 way dies for Amada style beds do exist, and are available in sectional sets.

2067 - 4V L Dies - 85deg - Eurostamp Tooling

To answer Garwood's question:

American style non precision tooling is planed.

Euro style precision style tooling is hardened and ground. Some of the planer tool companies (Riteway and whatnot) will make Euro profiles, but they'll still just be planed, and not really much, if any cheaper than some of the lower end precision ground tooling, so you may as well just stick with the precision stuff your machine deserves.

This is a good place to buy relatively inexpensive precision ground Euro tooling from. They've been great to deal with.
Precision Ground European-Style Press Brake Tooling; Punches, Dies, and Holders On Fab Supply, Inc.

Back