What's new
What's new

Extending the life of oxy/acetylene regulators

girlpower

Cast Iron
I don't use my torch setup very often. Loosening bolts, silver soldering or occasionally running a bead. I might go through a tank of acetylene every 4 or 5 years or so. Like I said, very infrequent use.

In the last 20 years, I've replaced my regulators twice and now I have yet another acetylene regulator that is creeping. The first set was a victor. Since then, I've just bought whichever Victor knock-off my welding supply happens to have available.

So, my question: is this normal? Is there something I can do to prolong the life of my regulators? Is the Acetylene somehow accelerating the deterioration of the internals? I don't run my acetylene low (paranoid) nor does it ever get laid down so I can't imagine acetone getting into the regulator. I store it in a garage which doesn't get too hot or too cold. I'd appreciate any advice on how to extend the life of my regulators... and also looks like I'm in the market for a new one, so suggestions welcome.

I thought I'd take the regulator apart but this one doesn't look repairable. The diaphragm appears to be molded into the regulator body.

In my experience, the higher quality Victor regulators last the longest, and they can be rebuilt when the time comes. Experience with the knock offs is they are good for a year, then all bets are off.

I guess I don't back off the adjuster at all. At least I don't ever remember doing it.
I do bleed off the torch though after shutting off the tank valve.

I've been using a Praxair Prostar private labeled Victor torch setup for 8+ years. It's not a knock off, it's an actual Victor unit, they just private label it and sell it a little cheaper than a genuine Victor.

I had to opposite problem. I used to back out the regulators and bleed the lines after use. This would cause the acetylene regulator to "pop" during use. Like something was sticking inside. So, I stopped backing them out and stopped bleeding the lines. It's been fine ever since.

I also use my torch infrequently and a couple times have had the same problem. Both times I was able to take the regulator apart and blow the dirt out of it. Worked fine after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also use my torch infrequently and a couple times have had the same problem. Both times I was able to take the regulator apart and blow the dirt out of it. Worked fine after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just be very careful, All high pressure regulators are rebuilt in basically a clean room with correct tools to rebuild them.
And even basic tools are NEVER used for anything else but regulator repair. Oil and or any grease related contamination is an absolute invitation to disaster.
Blowing out with compressed air from a oil lubricated air compressor would also not be a good idea and could be a disaster with an Oxygen regulator. Nitrogen is generally used for calibrating and testing. When I attended Victor training in Denton Texas some years back, we spent an after noon with Victors attorney looking over Regulator failures due to operator, installer error.
Some were horrifying,.

I had a very old Victor acetylene regulator (+25 years) start to leak down when I set it to a value. About ten years ago, i replaced it with a Radnor unit from AirGas when I still had an account with them. It's still going good. In fact I used it yesterday to do some bending. I can't say that it's the best but it works. Victor is excellent as well.

I don't repair or rebuild regulators. I neither have the tools nor a clean room environment to do that. However. regulars that creep have usually been damaged by flash back in my experience. Once I employed anti flashback valves on BOTH acetylene and oxygen regulators, my regulator failures have disappeared.

So, any opinions on the off brand Victor regulators sold at welding supplies? I'm wary.

Even Victors don't last "forever". GI use, SOP to replace them at regular intervals, regardless. Just so you are less likely to have a surprise when you CANNOT easily do so. "Mission Ready" had a high value. Regulator had lesser value thing.

Your shop doesn't have to care?

You should STILL be wary of unknown goods.

All the more so, they sit long idle. Why is that even in question?

I purchased Victor 450 gauges in 1984 and use them infrequently but when I do use them, I may go through a bottle or two of O2. I have the torches set up to use acetylene for cutting and propane for heating so three regulators in all. Just a few weeks ago I had to repair the O2 regulator as it would no longer maintain line pressure which kept creeping up so 35 years of trouble free operation. A quick, easy and inexpensive repair. I admit that I rarely back off the line pressure but always crack the cylinder valve before attaching a regulator.

If you put a real location under your name, I could maybe suggest a repair place.....:skep:

I take mine to buffalo, to a little shop that does good work.

I use airco (now called concoa) dual stage regulators, find them at garage sales & wherever. Take them to the shop, have them rebuilt,
and set up for what gasses I want.

I also keep 3lb coffee cans over my cutting torch regulators,
as they are nearest the bench.
Just flop them over top the whole tank valve and regulator,
they sit nicely up there.

They keep most shop debris from going in the vent holes.

If you put a real location under your name, I could maybe suggest a repair place.....:skep:

I take mine to buffalo, to a little shop that does good work.

I use airco (now called concoa) dual stage regulators, find them at garage sales & wherever. Take them to the shop, have them rebuilt,
and set up for what gasses I want.

I also keep 3lb coffee cans over my cutting torch regulators,
as they are nearest the bench.
Just flop them over top the whole tank valve and regulator,
they sit nicely up there.

They keep most shop debris from going in the vent holes.

Not a bad idea at all, as I have seen regulators that have had diaphragm failure to just that very thing.
1. Always purge your cylinder valve by cracking it slightly for a second before installing a regulator to clean out the valve chamber.
2. Be sure that when you purge the cylinder outlet and that the outlet faces away from you or anyone else.
3.When purging any flammable gas be sure that that there is no way for it to ignite.
4. Always back out the pressure adjustment handle/knob when finished with the regulator, just far enough to relief pressure to the diaphragm.
5. Never stand in front of the pressure adjustment handle/knob when opening the cylinder valve.
6. Be sure to bleed down the torch and hoses after usage.
7. Never store regulators with out the inlet and outlet capped simple plastic caps work great.

Back