What's new
What's new

Famco 3-1/2R arbor press bolster plate (daisy wheel)

jbhill

Cast Iron
Hi, does anyone have dimensions for a bolster plate for a Famco 3-1/2R? I know it's 1-1/2" thick and should be 9" OD but I don't know what the typical slot sizes. I know it really doesn't matter and many times I probably won't even use the wheel, but I would like to have one similar to what was originally on it. Thanks!

I would just get a hunk of plate and drill holes as needed in a spiral pattern like a natalus shell. Or like radiating spokes. Regardless you will need another one with a bigger hole or a thin cover plate with smaller hole to fit.(sometimes referred to as a thick washer that happens to fit close enough)
Bill d

Wow, the Famco 4 or 5 ton press really has a 1-1/2" thick bolster plate?

I just put into service a Greenerd No 4 (7 ton) arbor press and made the bolster plate out of 3/4".

Ours is just missing, but we'll definitely make it from steel. This press had been sitting outside for 20 years. You wouldn't believe what it took to remove the shaft and handle, it was entertaining! It's a fun restoration project though.

I would if steel wasn't so expensive. I need a pc 1-1/2 x 9-1/4" OD and even that is more than I want to spend. Have to keep an eye out for some auctions.

I have a couple NOS ones from Dake. They are cast, too small for my 2 1/2 Greenerd, but I think Famcos are much smaller for a given model number.

Hello, Somewhere I have (or had) a file for plasma cutting the platen for a Famco 3 1/2R press. If you would like me to send it I will look for it. Regards, Earl

Thanks Earl, I already make a drawing that should work fine.

Yes, the factory plate is 1-1/2" thick. I was quoted around $150 for a 9" round plate. Another place quoted more than $250 for a finished plate. That's probably fair but too much for me so I'm hoping to find an auction nearby.

I've got a smaller 2T Greenerd here and when I got it, there was a (probably shop made) plate with it. The holes in the plate didn't line up with the ram, so I made a replacement.

Here's a pic of my new one on the press and you can see the old one sitting off to the right side:
P1160051.jpg

And here's why I made a new one... The ram didn't line up with the holes on the old one:
P1160049.jpg

It's a little smaller than what you're talking about and the holes are a little worn from previous owner broaching using the press, but you're welcome to it for the shipping if it would do you any good. It's just under 7" diameter and 3/4 plate thick.

Let me know. :)

Thanks! I really appreciate that. I think it's a bit small for my needs though. Probably best to hold it for someone who could make better use of it. Thanks again!

15 minutes of CAD time, and a simple cnc oxy fuel machine would bang those right out....And a few more "new & improved" designs as well.

Attachments

• GEDC0392.jpg
    GEDC0392.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 32
  • GEDC0396.jpg
    GEDC0396.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 29
  • GEDC0390.jpg
    GEDC0390.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 31
  • GEDC0378.jpg
    GEDC0378.jpg