What's new
What's new

Which fiber laser will do this kind of job?

SterlingNiko

Plastic
I have access to a 100 watt fiber laser and was wondering if I need something different? If I can use this laser to etch these designs what setting would I need to get down to bare metal and in how many passes? and yes I know that the lasers will be a fraction of the speed of this $100k+ laser and Im fine with that. The metal is Carbon Steel (stainless in some cases) and the coating is just black/iron oxide (which i believe is equivalent to rust). Links below:

Anthony Taranto on Instagram: “Let it snow....
#snowflakes #snow #cold #ice #christmas #christmastime #laser #golf #art #saturday laser by @whb1957”

Anthony Taranto on Instagram: “What kind of sorcery is this!!?!?
#laser #rydercup #captain #captainamerica #teamusa #usa #loveit @whb1957 laser master...”

Settings all depend really on the laser not just its power level, rule of thumb going faster needs more power, going deeper needs more power. That said removeng the oxide layer should not need much, would guess in the 10-20 watt range, but it all depends on beam size and delivery - how fast that laser can shift.

One of the cheap chinese CO2's might even do it. all depends how well the coating absorbs that frequency of laser light, the better it absorbs it the hotter it gets and the less energy it takes to vaporize it. Not all black oxide like coatings are simply rust, theres a lot of similar coatings. Especially for stainless.

Back