What's new
What's new

Finding a small, double-acting punch press

Borealis

Aluminum
I just posted over in the EDM forum about the die-making side of this task, and now I need to deal with the punch press. We use a single-action punch press to produce little parts for our internal use, but there's a new part we need to make in relatively larger quantity (several thousand per week) and it essentially involves shearing out a 1/4"-diameter piece of annealed 26-ga stock and drawing it about 0.15" deep. We want to do both steps in one operation.

I know we could make a die set to do this on a single-action press, but in my handbooks on die-making, you see these big double-acting presses that are made for these tasks, and the die sets are a lot simpler. When I look around, I'm having a hard time finding a small used double-acting punch press. This seems like a common task, so I suspect I'm just not searching the right terms. Anybody know of a machine that fits the bill? Or better yet, anybody have a small (let's say, <30 ton) double-acting punch press they want to sell?

make a compound die. Spring loaded backing punch to control the forming of the extrusion. Follow up punch shears the part from the strip.

Tom

Looks like this might be the only way forward unless we fabricate our own. I can't find a single example of a double-action press smaller than 60 tons.

Back