What's new
What's new

Finger brake

Cyclotronguy

Stainless
Anyone here ever seen / used any of the Mittler Bros finger brakes? They're light duty machines aimed at the hobby fabricator. Their claim to fame is fingers on the apron and on the leaf so potentially a little more "universal" and "forgiving" for proto work.

My question would be how do they compare to the light duty industrial leaf brakes like Tennsmith?

Cyclotronguy

I have never seen or used a light duty mittler brothers machine. They do not make heavy machines but none of their stuff is for heavy material. Judging from the copers and punch we have of theirs I would go mittlier over tennsmith. Do not buy their stands, build or have built heavy frame legs.
the 1/8 brake just sparked my attention. Trick tools is almost to honest if you call them and ask, they have played with all their stuff, just be upfront.. can this brake handle all day with a cheater bar work.

Thank you very much, good to know that the "Trick Tool" guys are tool users, many sales people are not. Both Mittler Bros and Trick Tool are outside my normal circles, thus the inquiry.

For what it's worth, the green bear has a model 0418 - which I bought - which has 3 part fingers (finger/base/folder) similar to the mittler brothers (and both appear to be more or less copies of a MultiKant.) I've only done simple straight bends with it so far. They do not market this feature at all, I only noticed it via random picture. I have some other mitler brothers stuff and it seems nicer than the green bear. I know of one place that bought some tennsmith stuff that has been, shall we say, problematic.

We have a couple of the Mittler Bros. brakes at work. I haven't used one, but I've taken a decent look. I think the 16 gauge rating is very optimistic. The ones I'm around get used for 20-22 gauge mild steel and they're OK for that. The bed and apron fingers are machined from angle iron and seem light to be doing much with 16 gauge.

Back