What's new
What's new

firewall?

jprobst

Cast Iron
the city came by and shut our welding down, they said we need a 2-hour fire-wall. it's a bunch of bull%$#@! if you ask me, we are in a 20,000 sq.ft. shop with 30 foot high ceilings with a steel roof, anybody know what a 2-hour firewall is and what are the requirements for this, we are located in the city of glendora in southern california. hope you all are having a better day than me

I would go down to the zoning office and ask them for some specs, they prob will make you go to an engineer to have drawings made for the permits. I know its all BS i went thru it, i was converting an old hardware store into "manufacturing" and that changed the zoning....Bob

I think 5/8" drywall is rated 2 hrs. My dad had to do the same thing when he put up his shop. Its to protect the building(s) next to you if you place goes up.

Socal is a nightmare. I knew a guy who was locked out of his 1-man woodshop because he didn't get an architect to do the machinery/dust collection layout, and some of his European machines weren't UL listed (they had CE certs though).

At least it's just some drywall. Do you have a sprinkler system?

I assume there is more than one tenant or office space in the building.

I built a building with a 2 hour wall for tenant separation. Code required 2 layers of 5/8" type X (fire rated) sheet rock on each side of 2x4 wall.

Or steel studs with 2 layers of 1/2" type X sheet rock on each side.

It wasn't cheap. You will most likely want a local engineer to design the wall in order to meet local codes.

Back