What's new
What's new

floor jack (or other type) recommendation

1dogandnoexes

Aluminum
Once again the F-150 (5600 pounds empty) needs service. Although being used well within specifications, my last Torin branded floor jack developed terrible descent control, had very significant differences in function depending on the temperature, and eventually developed an internal leak WHILE BEING USED TO LIFT. It went to the scrap yard despite being used only 20 or so times over 10 years.

I like the stability of a floor jack as opposed to a bottle jack, at least to get something up in the air, and I'll need 3 tons or more lifting capacity. My experience with tools leads me to reject the "they're all the same" mentality and I sure don't need an injury to deal with.

Can anyone tell me of good or bad experiences with floor jacks? Is there another type of jack I should consider?

Thanks in Advance

I'm probably gonna get some hate for this but harbor freight floor jacks have been great to me and do have a solid reputation as one of the homeruns harbor freight produces.

I'm probably gonna get some hate for this but harbor freight floor jacks have been great to me and do have a solid reputation as one of the homeruns harbor freight produces.
If one needs a new seal, does harbor freight stock them?

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

I have had the same thought in the past...I bought an American-made Lincoln/Hein-Werner 93642 'commercial grade' jack. Probably the standard of the auto repair business for decades.

Anyway, I hardly use it....but after a short while, the cylinder refused to 'pump up'. It acted like the valve was never closing. I sent it off to a place out of state and had it repaired. It came back and worked better than it ever had. So I went back to using it once or twice a year. Then, last year I went to use it and....it refused to pump up again. So now it sits broken...I am currently using it to hold the towel I use to dry my hands off after washing them.

The independent professional tire place near my home which has been in business for many decades uses Harbor Freight Jacks so that should tell us something.

The independent professional tire place near my home which has been in business for many decades uses Harbor Freight Jacks so that should tell us something.

Because their employees are high turnover gorillas, and nothing will hold up more than 3 months with them, so go cheap ?
Or because they steal them frequently ?

Floor jacks are expendable tools. Buy cheap (Harbor Freight is fine.) When it breaks, throw it out and buy another.
Bill

The local tire shops all use NORCO floor jacks. Chinese bodies with Japanese KYB hydraulics. They claim they get 5+ years service between rebuilds running 6 days a week.

Seals in stock at all the usual suspects, Grainger, McMaster, Motion Industries.

For my Chev K3500 shop truck and the Wifes SUV I have two 2 speed long nose NORCO 3-1/2 ton SUV jack's. Both vehicles are heavy enough to kill off all the usual suspect "race jacks" in short order, ditto for the Wagners.

Yes the NORCO's are real monsters but they're a joy to use, and they gets used a lot. They also have a much wider stance than any of the "other" jacks so they are super stable.

I once had a box of 12' tape measures... cheap Chinese, they were giveaways from a trade show. But, the logo had printed smeared so we couldn't actually give them out. Probably 200 or more.

They sat for a couple years, then I got sick of looking at them so I dragged them over to a friend who ran a fab shop....he was thrilled to get them. I kinda apologized that they were such pieces of shit and said I debated if I should just toss them out...he said, "It makes no difference if I give my guys a $1 tape measure or a $35 tape measure....they'll tear it up in a couple weeks."

Once again the F-150 (5600 pounds empty) needs service. Although being used well within specifications, my last Torin branded floor jack developed terrible descent control, had very significant differences in function depending on the temperature, and eventually developed an internal leak WHILE BEING USED TO LIFT. It went to the scrap yard despite being used only 20 or so times over 10 years.

I like the stability of a floor jack as opposed to a bottle jack, at least to get something up in the air, and I'll need 3 tons or more lifting capacity. My experience with tools leads me to reject the "they're all the same" mentality and I sure don't need an injury to deal with.

Can anyone tell me of good or bad experiences with floor jacks? Is there another type of jack I should consider?

Thanks in Advance

i have the exact same jack, its not the jack problem, its the oil in it. i replaced with 30wt outboard gear oil and hasn't been a problem since. used to leak down and everywhere before. also been run over by a truck, and still like new. had it for 10 years so far.

I have an orange HF lo pro jack with a two speed pump, I really like it. It's sat outside for years with no issues. I don't get under loads supported by jacks, period. When it starts drifting I will go buy another one and toss the old one in the scrap bin and not think about it. It's a great jack as are yellow ones.

I have two of the NAPA branded steel floor jacks that have been in steady service for the five years since I bought them. I can recommend them. They’re not super light, but they’re very controllable and just keep working. NAPA seems to run a sale on their lifting stuff once or twice a year, I think I bought the two jacks on sale for right at $300

Be safe

Jeremy

+1 on the NAPA brand floor jacks. That's all we use here in our maintenance shop and they last for years.

Michael

I have a couple hydraulic bottle jacks that occasionally have stopped working. When that happens I bleed them and they are fine. If you are not familiar with bleeding them, Google it. Its worth a try.

I'm still using the 3-ton floor jack I got from Sears Craftsman back in 1996, it's been used plenty. Still is. Pretty sure they're all clones built in the same factory, though. If I have to buy new automotive stuff, NAPA is the best IMHO.

If one needs a new seal, does harbor freight stock them?

I'd imagine it's possible, I've seen a few part numbers in stuff I've gotten from HF.

In general I don't think it would be hard to find a seal for a hydraulic cylinder. I've brought a good amount of random antique hydraulic hoses/rams/cylinders to a local hydraulic place for rebuilds and they always got it done for me without issue

I have 2 old school Walker jacks. Both are "rated" at 2 tons. Both will pick up any corner, or half, of my 7800 lb. Ram 2500 Cummins diesel 4X4 truck.....with ease.

I also have an old, also American made, Ausco jack, also rated at 2 tons, and it will also pick up my diesel truck.

Harbor Freight will never ever get a penny of my hard earned American money. I'll die before I spent 2 seconds walking in that shitholes door, with all their chinese made disposable crap.

For home use I needed a light as reasonable 2 ton aluminum with some size limits to use with Jackpoint jack stands and ended up buying an OTC LDJA2 - imported but I’m very satisfied with it. I had gone through the same list as Mtndew posted but did not find what I needed. Harbor Freight does sell a jack that fit specs but it was both HF and heavier than the OTC so 2 strikes against it from the start. I have read decent reviews of the HF for whatever that is worth.

Back