What's new
What's new

Flux Core worm tracks??

boozer

Aluminum
Here a problem we had a few years ago, I work for a new company now and dont use flux core anymore, but the problem has always stuck in my mind, when we welded mild steel, either sandblasted or raw, after welding it with flux core wire, we alway got what we called "worm tracks" on the surface of the weld, we tried different gasses, different angles on the mig, and could never get away from them, the actually looked like fossils in the surface of the weld. anyone else ever had this problem or found a cure for it. i was thinking of getting flux core for my mig at home for some projects that the smooth weld would be great for, but was alway worried about going threw this problem again.

Usually wormtracks are caused by gases caught between the flux layer and the metal when it is still in a molten state. Contamination of some kind is usually the cause. Moisture in the wire, oils, or a bad gas mix call all lead to this.

I had a service call where a customer was getting this problem. We tried changing gas, guns and never did find the cause.

I would try a new spool of wire. Many Cheap brands of wire have these issues. IF it turns out there is some kind of contaminant on the wire, you can use a felt like clamp cleaner that clamps around the wire before it is fed into the gun's liner.
I would really look into wire as the culprit. Just a guess though.--Grant

I noticed a machine at work that was all flux core welded, and it has the same thing, So i wasn't sure if its the nature of it, Or we really did have a problem,

When I bought my first foll of flux core, the guy at the weld shop told me to reverse the polarity from what is used for gas shield. Makes a big difference.

Back