What's new
What's new

Friction Welding

Spud

Diamond
Is it practical to friction weld bicycle (or motorcycle) tube frames? Like joining the seat tube to the top tube ?
I have watched many friction weld videos on YT, and all of them show cyclindrical parts being joined where both parts are inline with each other. There is also friction stir welding where a tool bit rotates and is pushed against the parts to be joined.

Does anyone make friction welded bicycle frames?

Non-stir friction welding is possible only for parts that meet in a (rotational) plane, and generally only practical when the plane is perpendicular to the axis of welding thrust. Bicycle frames don't meet those requirements. The contact line is very significantly curved, which rules out the process immediately.

Adama, that's precisely why I said "Non-stir friction welding". I don't consider the spin-it-and-slam-it type of friction welding to be stir friction welding.

There's also linear movement friction welding, parts don't spin but move up down, I believe there's also been attempts vibrating the bits together using ultrasonic type vibrations. Both of these would support the joint geometry, but i have no idea if there actualy capable of working on tubes at these sizes.

No there's another way of friction stir welding were there's a "stirring" tool bit that can follow contours around a joint, its a pretty cutting edge process, but would be a very hard thing to do for a tubular frame. Theres videos of it on you tube.

Friction Stir Welding Demonstration - Manufacturing Technology, Inc. - YouTube

I have a question about that type of friction welding.
The little nub sticking out of the tool body; it penetrates into the workpiece at start, then at the finish when the tool body is retracted, the little nub leaves a hole. So I presume that as the little nub proceeds forward , the workpiece metal plasticises and flows around the nub and behind it?

Yep you got it, normally run the tool off into either a thicker bit of the part were it does not matter or a sacrificial bit that gets cut off.

Back