What's new
What's new

Fronius 2700, anyone have experience with these?

Rocketdc

Aluminum
Fronius 2700 mig welder, anyone have experience with these?

I need to replace my mig welder and considering the Fronius 2700, but don't know anyone with real time experience using one. Mostly for carbon steel and stainless, however I might have some aluminum work coming down the pipe. From the videos I've seen the machine seems more than capable switching between the different metals. Almost all my work is between 16ga and 1/2" thick.

I need to replace my mig welder and considering the Fronius 2700, but don't know anyone with real time experience using one. Mostly for carbon steel and stainless, however I might have some aluminum work coming down the pipe. From the videos I've seen the machine seems more than capable switching between the different metals. Almost all my work is between 16ga and 1/2" thick.

Why the odd brand ?

Blue or Red can't doo what you want ?

I've read plenty of the threads about welders on this site so I'm well aware of most members aversion to anything that isn't blue, red (and to a lesser degree yellow)...I get it. Many of the arguments are based on a company's ability to service their equipment, which isn't lost on me.

Fronius is hardly an "odd" brand just because it isn't part of the welding status quo in this country. They've been making welders in Austria for over 70 years and have a good reputation. If I think I can get a better product for the work I do at a better price than the typical offerings I think it's worth kicking the tires first.

Fronius is not US made, but how many Blue or Red welders are? Love my Blue but bought a Fronius at end of 2019. Had a lot of features I liked. Cannot tell you more as it is still in its original box, just like the Blue 280 Dynasty I bought at same time. Every once in a while I catch a glimpse of those units sitting in their boxes. A year ago I noticed that neither one had a tank of argon to go with it. Well now there is a tank of Argon for them. Somewhere in my shop. New regulator for the Blue is also here. I think it is in my office.

Fronius is not US made, but how many Blue or Red welders are? Love my Blue but bought a Fronius at end of 2019. Had a lot of features I liked. Cannot tell you more as it is still in its original box, just like the Blue 280 Dynasty I bought at same time. Every once in a while I catch a glimpse of those units sitting in their boxes. A year ago I noticed that neither one had a tank of argon to go with it. Well now there is a tank of Argon for them. Somewhere in my shop. New regulator for the Blue is also here. I think it is in my office.
Yes, we should surely regard your choice of machines due to your high volume of weld work.

I bleed Lincoln red. My welding background is in pipelining and vessel work. There are Millers on the ROW and in the code shops, but they're the minority by a large margin.

Programmed via Mazatrol

Excellent review! This is exactly the kind of in depth first hand information I was looking for. Lol

I've read plenty of the threads about welders on this site so I'm well aware of most members aversion to anything that isn't blue, red (and to a lesser degree yellow)...I get it. Many of the arguments are based on a company's ability to service their equipment, which isn't lost on me.

Fronius is hardly an "odd" brand just because it isn't part of the welding status quo in this country. They've been making welders in Austria for over 70 years and have a good reputation. If I think I can get a better product for the work I do at a better price than the typical offerings I think it's worth kicking the tires first.

Now your starting to sound like a salesman...

You've read all of those, and yet still you insist, that somehow.....Fronius will make the most perfect welds with you simply tossing the MIG gun in the direction of the weldment....Cripes.

Now your starting to sound like a salesman...

You've read all of those, and yet still you insist, that somehow.....Fronius will make the most perfect welds with you simply tossing the MIG gun in the direction of the weldment....Cripes.

Think you could twist my statement and spin it further? You sound like a politician...Cripes.

First of all, where in any of my comments did I claim a Fronius welder will make the most perfect welds simply tossing the MIG gun in the direction of the weldment? I never said that if you actually read what I wrote, but you don't care what I said if I was considering a welder of any other stripes than blue or red. I have a Miller now and I'm considering a couple of theirs as well, however that has nothing to do with my inquiry starting this thread.

When I replace or acquire equipment I consider many options. I have machines from the US, Germany, Canada, Italy, Taiwan and Spain...does that also bother you that every fucking machine I have isn't from a US manufacturer??

I've heard both of those brands are really low with gas consumption.......well, in your case anyway. ;)

I had a Fronius TransPuls Synergic 4000. I never used it before selling it. What I know about the machine is that it is supremely capable and especially soo for Aluminium since mine had a push-pull Mig gun, which really helps for Al.

I sold mine to a company that made radiators for generator sets from Cat and other big name brands. The company installed their radiators for Google's data centers. The company was specifically looking for a Fronius. I bought mine from a large mining equipment manufacturer, who had it calibrated every year. I had mine checked out and Calibrated by Fronius HQ in Indiana. I really regret selling mine.

Fronius also has wire-fed Tig, but you need a dedicated Tig machine for wire-fed Tig, the multiprocess Fronius machines won't do it because their complex electronics does not allow for high-frequency Tig, which you need for wire-fed Tig.

I had a Fronius TransPuls Synergic 4000. I never used it before selling it. What I know about the machine is that it is supremely capable and especially soo for Aluminium since mine had a push-pull Mig gun, which really helps for Al.

I sold mine to a company that made radiators for generator sets from Cat and other big name brands. The company installed their radiators for Google's data centers. The company was specifically looking for a Fronius. I bought mine from a large mining equipment manufacturer, who had it calibrated every year. I had mine checked out and Calibrated by Fronius HQ in Indiana. I really regret selling mine.

Fronius also has wire-fed Tig, but you need a dedicated Tig machine for wire-fed Tig, the multiprocess Fronius machines won't do it because their complex electronics does not allow for high-frequency Tig, which you need for wire-fed Tig.

I've looked at the Pulse 4000 too and someone else I talked to had similar comments about how beneficial it is for aluminum. That's partly why I was focusing on the 2700 because I'd like to be able to run some aluminum wire on occasion, but the majority of my work is carbon steel and stainless. I'm not sure the additional price of that rig would be worth it for my existing work although it would certainly be nice to have. I'm still waiting for confirmation on a contract to build a steel hull push boat so I need about 100% duty cycle for around 180 amps and the 2700 is pretty close with 3 phase wiring.

Interesting about the wire fed Tig. I haven't encountered that before, I'd like to check that out. Good to have on the radar if I need to upgrade my existing Tig setup.

I've looked at the Pulse 4000 too and someone else I talked to had similar comments about how beneficial it is for aluminum. That's partly why I was focusing on the 2700 because I'd like to be able to run some aluminum wire on occasion, but the majority of my work is carbon steel and stainless. I'm not sure the additional price of that rig would be worth it for my existing work although it would certainly be nice to have. I'm still waiting for confirmation on a contract to build a steel hull push boat so I need about 100% duty cycle for around 180 amps and the 2700 is pretty close with 3 phase wiring.

Interesting about the wire fed Tig. I haven't encountered that before, I'd like to check that out. Good to have on the radar if I need to upgrade my existing Tig setup.

If AL welding is important, you may also want to look into Car O Liner / Migatronic welders. I have 2 Migatronic Mig welders, they are made in Denmark. In the US they are sold as Car O Liner welders, and especially marketed towards Automotive applications. GM sells it to their dealer network. Haven't used it yet as I have no 3 phase, but hoping to work at a Auto restoration shop so the welders might come in quite handy.

Aside from the general purpose Mig welding, they are suited for Mig brazing and Silicon Bronze wire and per the website "True spray pulse function will not damage heat sensitive materials like aluminum or galvanized steel"

CMITM3000II - Car-O-Liner

We have 4 Transpuls Synergic 4000's running on ABB robots and 2 TPS 270i's that we do all of our hand welding with. The parent company in Ireland switched over to Fronius exclusively a number of years ago.

Our oldest TPS 270 (5 years) went pop one Thursday morning. Fried a couple of boards. Contacted Fronius about getting it repaired and they took their time getting back to me.
That was the 2nd week of September. I am still without welder and the repair costs are coming in at just shy of $3k. Out of probably 30+ units in Ireland in 8 years they have never had a failure like ours...

The lack of local support is something to be considered. We get most of our support from the guys in Ireland.
We have had an older Miller unit on load since then. It was nice to have the Miller rep stop in one day and point a few things out to us.

The Fronius pulse welders do an excellent job for us. They are quite sensitive to a good ground and clean material so you need to make sure these are in order. This might be true of all synergic pulse welders but my only experience is with Fronius.

We have 4 Transpuls Synergic 4000's running on ABB robots and 2 TPS 270i's that we do all of our hand welding with. The parent company in Ireland switched over to Fronius exclusively a number of years ago.

Our oldest TPS 270 (5 years) went pop one Thursday morning. Fried a couple of boards. Contacted Fronius about getting it repaired and they took their time getting back to me.
That was the 2nd week of September. I am still without welder and the repair costs are coming in at just shy of $3k. Out of probably 30+ units in Ireland in 8 years they have never had a failure like ours...

The lack of local support is something to be considered. We get most of our support from the guys in Ireland.
We have had an older Miller unit on load since then. It was nice to have the Miller rep stop in one day and point a few things out to us.

The Fronius pulse welders do an excellent job for us. They are quite sensitive to a good ground and clean material so you need to make sure these are in order. This might be true of all synergic pulse welders but my only experience is with Fronius.

Good to hear, the support is a question mark because it took a few days to get a response regarding a specific part I enquired about and that's on the sales side of the equation. As frustrating as it must be waiting for a pricey fix it sounds like the fleet all in all has worked out well.

Fronius 2700 mig welder, anyone have experience with these?

did you ever get a 2700 ? i was looking at them couple months ago but its alot more machine than i need so i went with a 2200 and its great (sold my miller to offset some of the cost lol). in total ive got three fronius machines and theyre really top notch stuff.

did you ever get a 2700 ? i was looking at them couple months ago but its alot more machine than i need so i went with a 2200 and its great (sold my miller to offset some of the cost lol). in total ive got three fronius machines and theyre really top notch stuff.
One post and you pull up my thread from last year. I'm calling BS, go back to your sales desk homie...

sales desk ? homie ? you must be mistaking me for another member. was looking for fabrication forums and found this place. since im a welder i just got looking through old threads of interest

sales desk ? homie ? you must be mistaking me for another member. was looking for fabrication forums and found this place. since im a welder i just got looking through old threads of interest
All good, sorry for the rude welcoming. When someone has a new account and their first post is pulling up an old thread to tout a specific manufacturer or product I automatically assume they're a salesman in disguise.

I did get the 2700, it's a nice welder, but I haven't used it long enough to know how the story turns out. They use a plastic cap called a "clamping piece" at the beginning of the liner that has to be sized to match the wire size which I wasn't aware of when I got the welder. I started getting some birds nesting running .030 stainless wire through a larger clamping piece and I'm assuming that was the root of the problem since it hasn't happened since I installed the right size clamping piece on the liner. Problem was, that part was back ordered and took a month to arrive. Don't know if it was a supply chain issue like many other things these days or an issue with Fronius. I have another Miller mig so it wasn't a big deal, but I prefer to keep two welders; one for stainless and the other for carbon steel to minimize any contamination. It's a pain in the ass to switch out liners every time I switch from stainless to steel since I work with both regularly.

everything on the 2700 and 2200 is color coded. drive rollers and the piece at the front of the liner you described.if i recall red is .045. blue .040-.035. white ..030. .023 is uncolored. black i believe is the next bigger size after .045. .052 or something. theres some knurled ones for fluxcore as well. inside the side panel it should say all this. mine does anyways.
what i did was bought all the different drive rollers and clamping pieces when i got the machine so i could use any wire on the market between .023 to .045. havent tried mig welding aluminum with it yet but ive used up about 25lb of steel wire so far and i really like these machines. they stick weld good also

I just want to add that my Fronius is performing just as good as it did on day one. I really should take it out of the box and try it. Maybe this winter.

Back