What's new
What's new

Waterjetting Aluminum Peelable Shims

Apparently these guys do:
AccuTrex uses state-of-the-art technologies and manufacturing process to produce custom peelable washers.

Stamping – Stamping is the most common type of peelable washer fabrication, especially for larger quantities. Parts are consistent, with high repeatability during production. AccuTrex builds and maintains your custom tooling in-house. We also maintain a large inventory of standard OD and ID dies and ring dies that can be used to reduce costs and eliminate extra tooling charges. We provide a full range of stamping services to provide you with a finished part.
Waterjet cutting – Waterjet cutting is used to cut washers out of materials that cannot be laser cut, such as brass and laminated materials. Our CNC-controlled waterjet cutting machinery can cut materials up to 6” thick. Tolerances are based on the size and thickness of the material being cut.
Wire EDM cutting – Wire EDM is used for metals that can be difficult to cut or shape with other methods and for washers that require very tight tolerances.

I'd be more inclined to go with option 1 though and stamp them.

I did water jet stacked shim material (not peelable shims, but about the same thickness)by firmly clamping the stack between steel plates and water jetting the whole. The material was 0.3mm thick beryllium copper but I do not think it makes any difference. Some 25-30 shims, about 30mm square, were clamped between two 4mm thick mild steel plates, clamped with a screw at each corner. Another method I've used to cut thin material stacked was to dip each shim in shellac, stack and press, and cut like one part when the shellac dry. The martial in this case was silicon steel.

I was told when cutting carbon fiber layups delamination typically only occurred when piercing. If you can start from an edge you may have a good chance of it working.

Back