What's new
What's new

gas welding question

metalmagpie

Titanium
Regular oxy/acetylene welding with a torch. Just picked up a lot of welding wire. The steel wire has some rust on it. I know rust is a heavy no-no for MIG wire - is it OK to have some rust on gas welding electrode? This would be for non-critical welds, as I only rarely pull out the torch unless I'm really feeling the need to get reacquainted with it. Just want to know keep the wire or scrap it.

metalmagpie

I would use it so long as its not too heavy. In all the time I have done gas welding, rust on the work or wire has just accumulated as slag to the top and side of the weld.

Tom

+1 on what Tom says...the impurities just seem to melt out and puddle on top of the weld. Probably not good enough for the space shuttle, but oxy/acetylene wouldn't be found there in a million years. Scotch-brite or something similar if the rods are real bad....

Stuart

They make gas welding rods???? I have always called them "Coat Hangers"!!!!
Seriously, anything that is not critical will burn off or puddle on top of the bead.
Ever see a muffler shop weld exhaust pipes, no surface prep there. (gas welding exhaust used to be common before MIG was popular)

There is a BIG difference between a rod and an electrode. Hopefully you are not using mig or tig filler. With that out of the way why not just hit it with some sandpaper or maybe a scotchbrite hand pad?
It may be non-critical but it is always a PITA when things don't work right the first go round.

I had to convert two hydraulic hose fittings from some POS Chinese fittings that the hydraulic shop could not identify to JIC.
I cut the old fitting off of the hose and gas welded a JIC fitting on to it to make an adapter. I gas welded it with a coat hanger for filler. It has an operating pressure of 2000 psi on a Jinma Backhoe. That was 5 years ago and it's still working fine!

Attachments

• 000_0389.jpg
    000_0389.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 361

Back