What's new
What's new

General Shop CNC Laser? Types and Names - $3-6K ranges?

countryguy

Hot Rolled
Ugggg.. could use some help here... Looking for American Made ..Supported CNC type Laser systems. Non-import junk- Name dropping and example of what you've done very WELCOME please.

Us: A Small startup shop. CandCNCPlasma setup w/ PrecisionPlasma LLC table, Haas VF/4 VMC , and a superMax 30taper YMC w/ new Centroid controller upgrade.

The thought was to possibly make our own laser table but seems most/many have enclosures. Was considering making a laser mounting setup for our existing gear; the Haas, SuperMax, and Plasmatable??? Anyone mount and cut w/ existing CNC stuff? Or is this just not really done?

The Laser: Variable power...
Tasks:
Engraving, gouging, detail cutting work. possibly nested small production runs.
Material: Fabrics, plastics, Metals (What can I realistically cut and engrave? ALU, Stainless, Titanium?)

Anywho... Just wondered of a common laser power band that guys like and do well with. We just started looking.

TIA,
CG

A laser power supply powerful enough to just barely tattoo your arm will cost at least $5K.
Let alone do anything to steel. There's a reason most industrial lasers run from $300-900K.

Just sayin'....... :)

the sheet metal shop we use regularly just sold a Bystronic 4000 watt 6 x 12 laser with an auto loader for 60000. They paid over a million for it, and it was still working well. Bear in mind, these things are finicky, and require lots of attention.

I happen to have a machine you might be interested in. I sent you a PM.

All the lasers out there priced less than a house are made in China.

The BossLaser made in China. Very easy to use; but the one at our Makerspace, I think it is a 50 watt 1416 model, smoked my engraved acrylic job after they did some preventive maintenance. I think support is decent though; I called while at the Makerspace to ask a question and they did not have any issues talking with me, as a Makerspace user. I only called once to confirm that whatever I was trying to engrave would not be a problem.

It only etches marble - I was curious and had to try it.

I did my design work in Vectric then saved the files and imported in RD works, so I was able to walk in and run my job.

If $25,000 fell in my lap, I would review an Epilog (Colorado) vs. Trotech (Michigan) as a couple of options.

The cost will depend of the maximum size material you want to engrave. Lasers are a lot of fun; make sure you know what class laser you are working with and talk about eye protection to meet OSHA standards at work.

You want to know the meantime between failure for your laser tube and cost of replacement. My observation is the cheaper your tube, the more frequently it will need to be replaced.

Back