What's new
What's new

Good quality older tig welders to look for?

Trboatworks

Diamond
I have one of the MaxStar 150's and was wanting to pick up something larger with ac/dc capability.

I am looking for capacity to weld ~1/4" aluminum so 200 amp or so and don't want to throw a bunch of money at this so limited to a old transformer machine probably.

Models to look at?

Thanks

I've had one of these for over 30 years. About as reliable as an anvil.
I bit heavy, best to find one for local pick-up.

front_cover_zps82s3puww.jpg

I am a Miller man, myself.
I, personally, would skip the Dialarc, as its really the most basic.
I would be looking at old syncrowaves, aircrafters, 330's, or any of the dynasty's or diversions.

The old transformer machines are reliable, but they ALL have electronics in em till you get back to the early 80s. A mid 80s syncrowave still has circuit boards.
So if you really want to avoid electronics, you need to be looking at 40 year old or older machines- and then you get into issues with failed capacitors, rotten wiring, and oddball connectors.

Whatever you get, make sure it comes with a working foot pedal, and a water cooler- both are expensive separately.
The really old 5 pin Millers, or the even older 2 connector foot pedals, can be over $350 for a replacement pedal, and are as rare as hens teeth used.
New water coolers are $800.

So you are not "saving" if you find a bare bones tig machine for $400, versus a fully kitted out one for $800.

A new torch, on the other hand, is under $200, and the new ones are really nice, especially the swivel head versions.

Personally, I would really steer clear of old Linde/Esab/Union Carbide machines- they are notorious for almost complete unavailability to get parts, and there are a lot of really oddball LInde orphans out there.
I am not a huge fan of Hobarts and Century welders either- they are the budget lines of Miller and Lincoln, respectively, and are "value engineered". Means cheaper components.

Stick with Miller or Lincoln, and you will be much happier.

1/4" Al would be happier with 300 amps, the start is kinda rough (especially fillets) without the extra heat...
AC with inverters is a totally different world than AC with a transformer. If you can get an inverter for about the same price as a transformer, get the inverter.
Adding AC to any tig unit ups the price tag accordingly...
One of the cheapest options for getting an AC inverter tig was the ahp alphatig 200x. The machines about $800 + the toys (gas bottles,sticks of W ect ect). Its not a big name and parts might be iffy, but I've helped 2 farmer/light welding friends set them up and both ran as nice as the Red/Blue's.
Thermal arcs 185 is another decent machine for the price, but it was more than the alpha tig.

I've had one of these for over 30 years. About as reliable as an anvil.
I bit heavy, best to find one for local pick-up.

front_cover_zps82s3puww.jpg
I've got one of these 300 Lincolns. I also have a Miller Dialarc 250 HF ( 310 amps max) I bought the Dialarc back about '77 or so (new) I welded a lot of 1/2" aluminum but with a lot of pre- heating with a rosebud. I bought the 300 Lincoln maybe 20 years ago, used from the Gov't. Similar use. both are great old machines. I've only used a 200 Dynasty for small stuff at a place I used to work, but I'd think a big Dynasty would be a pretty choice machine!

By the way, you can cheat a little to run thicker Aluminum on a Tig machine ( or on a wire machine as well) if you use a helium/ 1 or 2 % oxygen mix

I have a Lincoln Idealarc tig 300-300 as two other posters have and it is a great machine. Have had it for over 25 years and never a bit of trouble.

Ken

Miller Syncrowave TIG welders are pretty bomb proof. They regularly come up for sale on Craigslist in this part of the world.

Keep in mind that the circuit boards for these are often more than the cost of a brand new import like the Alphatig. Search Weldingweb.com for stories about the cost of repairs.

Unless you are a electrical engineer, I could not suggest buying a TIG welder unless the seller can demonstrate that it works.

Dan

Keep in mind that the circuit boards for these are often more than the cost of a brand new import like the Alphatig. Search Weldingweb.com for stories about the cost of repairs.

Unless you are a electrical engineer, I could not suggest buying a TIG welder unless the seller can demonstrate that it works.

Dan

You mean a good tech... Most engineers can't troubleshoot for beans...... :D

I
I am not a huge fan of Hobarts and Century welders either- they are the budget lines of Miller and Lincoln, respectively, and are "value engineered". Means cheaper components.

Stick with Miller or Lincoln, and you will be much happier.

while the contemporary Hobart/Miller machines are sold in stores that also sell diapers, fishin' poles , and cat food...

i have run several pre-1990's Hobart Brothers machines (title is: Good quality OLDER TIG WELDERS to look for?)
which were nothing but industrial quality power supplies(100% duty cycle ,3 phase) that were definitely never sold
at Sears nor Tractor supply . hobarts usually sell for much less than comparable miller/lincoln machines .

anyway , i have the afforementioned lincoln TIG250/TIG250 (1980'S red louvers , 250/275A ac) that's great for steel
and Stick ..... sucks (or just not so great) for aluminum compared to a square/adjustable - wave machine.

GET a SYNCHROWAVE !!! a Dialarc HF or Idealarc 300/300 will weld Aluminum ..........but not as nicely as one with
adjustable AC .

shouldn't this thread be in the welding/FAB section?

shouldn't this thread be in the welding/FAB section?

LOL- I scanned the topics twice and missed it.

"That's odd- no welding sub-fora..I'll just slam this in General".
One of those subtle glues which tells you something about the intelligence of the OP..

In any case this thread is helping me out- there is a Miller 320A-BP out there just now- 800lbs!

The thing is scaring me- wow big old gal.. Still looking about.

My oldest welder is a Lincoln Tig 300, one of the old grey ones. Works well.
Keep in mind the old transformer units like lots of juice. Mine's on
a 100 amp 240 breaker ( single phase ).
With a helium rich mix it's got the umph to do 1/2 aluminum.
There are better ways to weld aluminum today, ( inverters )but none will
be cheaper.
David

Back