What's new
What's new

Got a new 750 fiber laser welding machine video!

csspecs

Aluminum
So we got this in about a week ago. I contacted the company I bought my laser cutter from (bescutter) and asked if they had a laser welder that would run on single phase power and had a roughly 2'x2' work area. They did not have any welders on their website at the time, but they said they would see what they could come up with. And here is the result sitting in my shop several months later.. I don't have speeds and feeds 100% dialed in because I don't have the parts it supposed to weld 100% either.. But I should be making piles of parts in just a couple weeks, and honestly this thing has been much easier than making custom spot welder tooling, so I'm pretty excited.

There is a weld at around 2 minute mark or so.

So we got this in about a week ago. I contacted the company I bought my laser cutter from (bescutter) and asked if they had a laser welder that would run on single phase power and had a roughly 2'x2' work area. They did not have any welders on their website at the time, but they said they would see what they could come up with. And here is the result sitting in my shop several months later.. I don't have speeds and feeds 100% dialed in because I don't have the parts it supposed to weld 100% either.. But I should be making piles of parts in just a couple weeks, and honestly this thing has been much easier than making custom spot welder tooling, so I'm pretty excited.

There is a weld at around 2 minute mark or so.

How much was that guy?

I think retail is around $55,000+ I'm not 100% sure since the tariffs may have changed with one or more of the trade agreements. I'll try to get a current number next time I report in with the seller.
I got a small discount for basically testing and reporting back any problems or suggestions. And running test parts for their potential customers from time to time.

It was still more expensive than my haas mill. But it does a very specific job that we think will pay back the cost very quickly. Having CNC welding that is clean without need of grinding is a massive cost savings.

Can you share what kind of settings and motion is going on when welding?
I just tried using a 6kw fiber laser cutter to do butt welding steel sheet together. I raised the focal point to be above the part, lower power to 800w, lowered the nitrogen pressure way down and programmed a little 1/8" spiral. It did work and provided little tack welds but I'm curious how an actual laser welder does it.
Does it move in a straight line or wiggle?

I just tried using a 6kw fiber laser cutter to do butt welding steel sheet together. I raised the focal point to be above the part, lower power to 800w, lowered the nitrogen pressure way down and programmed a little 1/8" spiral. It did work and provided little tack welds but I'm curious how an actual laser welder does it.
Wiggle or pulse? Something makes that mini stack of dimes.

Nitrogen may not be the best gas. But now this has me thinking. I can see myself spending a whole day playing with this.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who tried that.. we did the same thing with our 500 watt cutter. We found it worked if we backed the head up to about 4” above the part. On our cutter machine in global parameters you can shut off follow which allows you to set height and the machine would not move up or down. Then turn assist gas way down. We found a sort of sinewave about 0.5 MM on each side of the joint helped a lot.

The welder is just moving in a straight line so I suspect it has some sort of wobble action in the head however I have not confirmed that for sure.

Ok so several months have gone by since we got this machine and I can safely say welding is harder than cutting.. We have made two full production batches and setting up for three or four more now that we have the product bugs worked out.

So put together a sort of review/information video. In my opinion it's a great option for small shops that can accept a slightly less refined machine at a significantly lower cost.. we are very happy with our machine. It's letting us effectively compete with imported products in our market, ultimately if I have to use a Chinese machine to bring a few products back to the states, I think that's an okay trade..

I will warn you to check the windows for approval markings, all our Chinese laser machines came with straight up colored plexiglass and had to be swapped out with certified laser safe windows.

I will warn you to check the windows for approval markings, all our Chinese laser machines came with straight up colored plexiglass and had to be swapped out with certified laser safe windows.

Yeah agreed. Front window is glass and has markings but I covered it with aluminum.. I've been meaning to do a full window delete on my laser cutter and just use a camera for monitoring. The windows give poor visibility anyway that replacing them doesn't seem worth it.

We made a video of setting up and using the fiber laser welder. It's nearly an hour long and covers several methods of setup. I did add links in the description to the highlights for those not wanting to watch for an hour. Figured it would be helpful to others looking at their options for small parts welding.

The break test at the end was a last minute addition, ended up not being able to break the plug welds with the pry bars. I would also prefer to have torn the butt weld but the guy with the vise grips was not on the same page.. I may redo the break test with an enerpac puller rig. For my own testing we break two small welds at a time or a short length of butt weld, but on youtube you have "experts" that have never even glued paper together mocking you that a weld that can be broken.. :nutter:

This thing has been great for us, once programing is set we load the parts and click "start" and the machine welds 20-40 parts with as many as 400 welds while the loader sips coffee and refills the trays. Really easy machine to use for production stuff.

Back