Got a new 750 fiber laser welding machine video!
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Got a new 750 fiber laser welding machine video!

So we got this in about a week ago. I contacted the company I bought my laser cutter from (bescutter) and asked if they had a laser welder that would run on single phase power and had a roughly 2'x2' work area. They did not have any welders on their website at the time, but they said they would see what they could come up with. And here is the result sitting in my shop several months later.. I don't have speeds and feeds 100% dialed in because I don't have the parts it supposed to weld 100% either.. But I should be making piles of parts in just a couple weeks, and honestly this thing has been much easier than making custom spot welder tooling, so I'm pretty excited.

There is a weld at around 2 minute mark or so.

2. Likes Scruffy887, Ray Behner, bryan_machine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by csspecs View Post
    So we got this in about a week ago. I contacted the company I bought my laser cutter from (bescutter) and asked if they had a laser welder that would run on single phase power and had a roughly 2'x2' work area. They did not have any welders on their website at the time, but they said they would see what they could come up with. And here is the result sitting in my shop several months later.. I don't have speeds and feeds 100% dialed in because I don't have the parts it supposed to weld 100% either.. But I should be making piles of parts in just a couple weeks, and honestly this thing has been much easier than making custom spot welder tooling, so I'm pretty excited.

There is a weld at around 2 minute mark or so.
    How much was that guy?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think retail is around $55,000+ I'm not 100% sure since the tariffs may have changed with one or more of the trade agreements. I'll try to get a current number next time I report in with the seller.
    I got a small discount for basically testing and reporting back any problems or suggestions. And running test parts for their potential customers from time to time.

It was still more expensive than my haas mill. But it does a very specific job that we think will pay back the cost very quickly. Having CNC welding that is clean without need of grinding is a massive cost savings.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Can you share what kind of settings and motion is going on when welding?
    I just tried using a 6kw fiber laser cutter to do butt welding steel sheet together. I raised the focal point to be above the part, lower power to 800w, lowered the nitrogen pressure way down and programmed a little 1/8" spiral. It did work and provided little tack welds but I'm curious how an actual laser welder does it.
    Does it move in a straight line or wiggle?

6. Likes csspecs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by msimard View Post
    I just tried using a 6kw fiber laser cutter to do butt welding steel sheet together. I raised the focal point to be above the part, lower power to 800w, lowered the nitrogen pressure way down and programmed a little 1/8" spiral. It did work and provided little tack welds but I'm curious how an actual laser welder does it.
    Wiggle or pulse? Something makes that mini stack of dimes.

Nitrogen may not be the best gas. But now this has me thinking. I can see myself spending a whole day playing with this.

8. Likes csspecs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by msimard View Post
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who tried that.. we did the same thing with our 500 watt cutter. We found it worked if we backed the head up to about 4” above the part. On our cutter machine in global parameters you can shut off follow which allows you to set height and the machine would not move up or down. Then turn assist gas way down. We found a sort of sinewave about 0.5 MM on each side of the joint helped a lot.

The welder is just moving in a straight line so I suspect it has some sort of wobble action in the head however I have not confirmed that for sure.