What's new
What's new

Gravity feed HVLP recommendation ?

Spud

Diamond
Good quality gravity feed HVLP spray-gun: what brands and models do you all like?
I presume SATA is the best, but what other brands are pretty good?

I've been using a Devilbiss Finishline 4 with Dekups. I like it alot and the Dekups makes cleanup really easy, plus can paint upside down too.

I have a 3M accuspray. No cleanup necessary, which was why I got it...just have to wipe the needle off and throw the consumables away.

Haven't painted anything in awhile and don't want to, either.

They're on amazon but local body shop/paint supply place stocks them and all the consumables.

They told me the cup system on this is often adapted to other guns because of ease of use.

I am not a member on any of those forums...yet. I am just getting into HVLP and don't plan on getting into it deeply in the very near future, so a sub-forum like this where the users are not specifically into automotive painting mighty be more up to my speed .

Im ex autobody. What do you wanna use it for spud?

Unless your into show grade finishes, some of the cheap ones on ebay are bloody good! I have both a 0.5mm (use it for water based varnish on smallish wood stuff mostly) and also a monster gravity HVLP with 1.3-2.4mm needles i use for U pol raptor. The first was sub £20 the second was around the £40 mark, sure there no £300 gun, but the build quality and finish on both is really good. The spray pattern on both is perfectly even, so any bad results are firmly down to me not the guns!

The transfer efficiency on both is bloody good, HVLP even in a cheap gun is definitely a winner even for my usage. Outside of a proper booth IMHO your kinda pissing in the wind if you think a more expensive - top of the range gun is such a benefit. My experience, environment is everything when spraying and matters way more with re-guard to finish out come than gun brand.

Can second pretty much everything adama said.

Buy a few of them, with different size nozzles if you need. You feel much better when you leave some 2K go hard in £20 gun thats for sure.

Sata is what the full time paint guys use in the marine world.
I’ve done plenty of it and get by with the $500 level Binks guns.
So much of my work is out of position so I am almost always on a pressure pot- again Binks and I use the two qt.
As Adama said- even $50 Home Depot guns shoot fine and you can toss them if a catalyzed mix cooks off in the gun.

The big difference in laying out $ for good gear is how serviceable it is- taper fit seals instead of o-ring etc.
You can tear down and clean a good gun almost no matter what.

I was a idiot one time (there have been others..), and left a pot of two pack epoxy primer to cook off in my pot and gun.
Pot half full of cured paint and gun the same.
I tossed the hoses, broke the mess out of the pot and soaked everything- no harm to the gear.

If I were to bother to buy more gear I would go high pressure airless.
I had a bunch of contracts shooting aluminum spars with two pact paints and was just about to go that route- about 5k or so to setup for that game I think.
I was looking at the top line Graco gear.

The big difference in laying out $ for good gear is how serviceable it is- taper fit seals instead of o-ring etc.
You can tear down and clean a good gun almost no matter what.

Honestly my £40 4 nozzel gun is all taper fits in the paint nozzle - paint cup area, all nicely chrome plated and you can soak it in any solvent you wish with no harm.

Could be the cheap seats have upped their game.
Last time I was buying the gear at out big box stores they were all o rings and not easy to keep running.
I run the cheap gear a few small jobs or so and end up tossing them.
Time is money- cheaper to buy another than source new parts or fuss with them much

I've done motorcycle show stuff in the past, and my Devilbliss EGA touch -up gun was always the one I used, but it is a siphon gun not HVLP. I like the Horror Fright ones for primer for the reasons stated above. I have both the Dekups and 3M PPS disposable systems, and those are essential. The only problem was getting the adapters to fit the off brand guns, I had to make one for the HF gun. If you have the bucks, Iwata, Sata, and the top line Devilbliss are all excellent products, but I have to admit the cheap set from HF shoots pretty darn good, especially if you doing machinery and such.

Last edited:
Im ex autobody. What do you wanna use it for spud?

Right now I am just learning auto painting at tech school. We have to provide our own guns. I plan to use it for automotive and machine tool painting. I would like to learn machine tool refurbishment, including painting. Is HVLP the common method for machine tool painting? What about the RP (reduced pressure) technology from Sata?

For a budget of $250 - $300 which gun would you all buy? And if you were buying used for same budget which gun would you choose (assuming it is in great condition) ?

Honestly buying used spray guns is a crap shot, there some what delicate and even a slight drop if it lands wrong can really fubber the spray pattern. Equally your only going to know that difference once you master the basics too. I really would go cheaper then get a good one later when you have a better feel for what size and what kinda style you want to run.

Theirs plenty of good how too videos on you-tube too. Most people won't just settle for one spray gun either, differing paints need different nozzle sizes and its also a bit like a paint brush, you don't use a 1/2" paint brush to paint a garage door, equally using a 6" brush on a set of motorbike handle bars aint ideal either. Your not going to want to apply a clear coat with the same gun you run a high build primer in either.

Some of the disposable systems are neat, but they come at a cost, great were time is money but they can add up fast doing little things around the shop as it were.

Ok, used is out of the running then.

So for around $250-$300 what Iwata or other brand would you all choose?

You won't be able to touch an Iwata for that price, unless it is used.

Favorites:
Sata Minijet 4
Sata 3000 RP

Sagola 4500 Xtreme
Sagola Mini Xtreme

The Sata fan adjustment control is different than what you see on a Devilbiss or equivalent gun. The Sata is better.
You also don't need a digital readout on the gun body.

If you buy a one of those gun handle regulators then you will lose 12% air volume. I have measured that myself. Those little
regulators are all over the place, cheap crap from China.

Instead I made some of these fittings with a gauge. This one is on the handle of a Sagola 4500 Xtreme.

DSC_0592.jpg

Air volume measurement gauge. This is what I used to measure air flow.

DSC_0609.jpg

Right now I am just learning auto painting at tech school. We have to provide our own guns. I plan to use it for automotive and machine tool painting. I would like to learn machine tool refurbishment, including painting. Is HVLP the common method for machine tool painting? What about the RP (reduced pressure) technology from Sata?

For a budget of $250 - $300 which gun would you all buy? And if you were buying used for same budget which gun would you choose (assuming it is in great condition) ?

Im out of date with the latest and greatest, 10 years or so out the game, but it dont change much :)
Honestly id say go with the cheaper side (not dirt cheap) for now. Buy a few guns with different nozzle sizes so youre covered for a primer gun.
Something along these lines
If theres a paint factor near you, pop in and see what they have on offer. Smooth trigger and nice adjusting knobs and genrally resonable build quality is what youre after. If you get into it, you can always demote these guns to the lesser work if you buy your DeVilbiss GTI Pro Lite down the road, and theyll be a back up if you manage to twat your nice kit.

Make sure youve the air to run them.
Dont use the stupid little paint filters they come with.
Wouldnt bother with the gauge either.

For machinery id use the primer gun to slap it on.

I've got gauges on all of mine.... I never look at them ....but I do use the regulator, and just adjust it what I m doing. Since I do mostly small parts, I hang everything on wires. And sometimes you have to adjust the pressure down so you don't blow your parts away. I just recently got a GTi light but haven't had a chance to use it. Looks to be a nice gun.

IMHO guages matter and pressure too if you want to do something like touch up style work and match original OEM orange peal in metallic' s and such. Flat colours its not such a issue, but get into effects type stuff or stuff were your painting multiple panels for the same project in different times then you have to be able to really duplicate the settings to end up with the same result.

Its the difference in accident repair between touching up a panel or having to respray a whole car.

Back