Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Might not need anything to spin the rod in all reality, as the grinder will probably spin it just fine itself. Just need some in-feed pressure and a light grip to keep the rod from spinning too fast.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Tony Quiring, I appreciate your concern about the plates, soil, rusting etc.
    Please remember, I'm a welding shop, I make things all the time that get drawn on little more than a napkin, I do understand that steel rods should be coated, I know that new rods in bridges tend to be epoxy coated, I also know that a rod should be kept at least 2" from the exterior surface of the concrete, I understand that electrolysis will cause the rod to corrode up inside the concrete, when it expands it will swell to about 3 times its original diameter causing the concrete to spall which in turn cracks the concrete.

Thank you for your concern, I will make sure to let my customer know that he should have the rods epoxy coated, unfortunately, I doubt they will.

3. Likes digger doug, roysol liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I appreciate every ones input, I have passed the buck on this one, thanks Snowman, I pawned the job off on the local blacksmith Ron Bishop who has a forge and power hammers, I will cut them and do all the fab work, he will put the point on them.

5. Likes Monarchist, roysol liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Portable Welder View Post
    I appreciate every ones input, I have passed the buck on this one, thanks Snowman, I pawned the job off on the local blacksmith Ron Bishop who has a forge and power hammers, I will cut them and do all the fab work, he will put the point on them.
    Good on Yah! And a "thank you" on behalf of the poor lathe that doesn't have to deal with the grinding effluvia...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Quiring View Post
    That could be issue as the rod is in contact with soil and will allow rust to start.

Supports for rebar are chunks of concrete with wire in it so only concrete touches dirt.

Be sure you have copy of building engineer drawing showing this.

The GC doing the job may be coming up with their way of doing things

If not in the approved drawing and a failure down the road caused by defect it could be issue.

This is not an ornament but rather structural for a chemical plant so CYA is highly suggested.

Drawing may require specific material if in direct contact with dirt.

Usually requires a footing hole with supports cast in but bot contacting dirt.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk
    Portable's description of the work is standard practice around here for structural work. I have seen engineer stamped plans out of a majority of the big players, and steel that is fully encapsulated in epoxy or even hot zinc dipped is really quite uncommon.

Best practice and common practice are two very different things, especially in Michigan. We build for the next quarters profit, not for the 100 year (or even 30 year) corrosion concerns.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

subbed out sounds like the real winner.
    no pain in your butt that way.