What's new
What's new

Hand Heatshield for Plasma Torch

MilGunsmith

Stainless
I have a Miller ICE-100T plasma torch that i use for cutting up used weapons parts and barrels for scrap. I am burning up the trigger finger on my gloves. I see that Hypertherm makes a gouging heatshield for their torches. Does anyone have experience with it and know if it will fit the Miller torch? If not, any suggestions or plans for one that will work?

I have a safety department that I have to deal with to approve PPE, there ideas are "no risk is best". So I need to explain reasons for the gloves, tig finger, etc., not lasting. The extended torch, or the Hypertherm heatshield is tooling, and they don't look at that. Thats why I was asking if anyone had experience with one and made it fit the Miller torch.

I have a safety department that I have to deal with to approve PPE, there ideas are "no risk is best". So I need to explain reasons for the gloves, tig finger, etc., not lasting. The extended torch, or the Hypertherm heatshield is tooling, and they don't look at that. Thats why I was asking if anyone had experience with one and made it fit the Miller torch.

If your up against the wall with regulations, how about making a longer handle for your torch ? Hose clamp it on, with small rod to actuate the trigger (suggest fiberglass driveway marker rod, for no conduction)

Good idea, but again that is something that safety will look at and not approve. It needs to be store bought. I will look into the extended torch.

Post a pic of the gun you use. I have been using my Hypertherm plasma torch for years, and never had that issue- I can run mine gloveless, set on "kill", and never get a warm trigger finger...

Torch.jpg
This is the torch that I am using. You can see all the backsplatter. We are using it on the gouge setting to remove as much metal as possible. We are destroying used weapons parts, so we need a rough cut with lots of displaced material. If a different torch would be better for the application please suggest. We used to use an oxy-acetylene torch, but this is much faster.

View attachment 322303
This is the torch that I am using. You can see all the backsplatter. We are using it on the gouge setting to remove as much metal as possible. We are destroying used weapons parts, so we need a rough cut with lots of displaced material. If a different torch would be better for the application please suggest. We used to use an oxy-acetylene torch, but this is much faster.

Gouging ?

Backsplatter ?

Are you working in a corner ?

Working on an open stand over a metal catch bucket. I was told the gouging setting was best for removing metal. Any advise on settings or a better method? It is a Miller Spectrum 1251. We are cutting up used M2 machinegun barrels, roughly 2" diameter.

The one I have at work is the same gun. Gouge setting is fine, but you have to keep the tip from touching the metal-either with a standoff tip, or by using a welding hood so you can get close enough to see what you are doing, and being able to brace your hands on something to stay steady. Also- you must "drag" the tip towards you, never "push" it- that way all the stuff goes away from you, not back at your hand.

im cutting sometimes 20 - 50 mm by hands and no problem if you know how to hold torche , if you put your finger on material and slide then i dont see any chance for backfire if your arc going out of 90 degree . Only if i cut some difficult stuff them im using shield or special gloves . I will drop you some picture 2mrw.

You know, if these questions had easy answers, they would NEVER be asked on this forum. We are all to bright on our own! ;-)

We have the answers, we just don't recall where they are!

This is what i used , shield is from Weldas.

Attachments

• 20210615_083326[1].jpg
    20210615_083326[1].jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 20210615_083343[1].jpg
    20210615_083343[1].jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210615_083352[1].jpg
    20210615_083352[1].jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 16

Back