What's new
What's new

Heat treating 17-4 PH

Corn

Aluminum
Hi,

I'm receiving heat treatment furnace so get the ability to do bit more complicated heat treatments what torch can't do. My question is about heat treating 17-4ph to H 900 condition. From the spec sheets I have found that it needs to be kept in 900F for one hour and air cooled. Does this mean that after one hour take it out from the furnace and leave it to room temperature to cool down? Or does it matter how slowly it will cool down, eg. can I leave it into the furnace for cool down overnight and take it out next morning? I assume this is not ok..

Thank you in advance

Looks like 30 minutes here - no slow cool (click on image to enlarge)

heat treating 17-4 ph to h900 condition - Bing

have fun

Hi,

I'm receiving heat treatment furnace so get the ability to do bit more complicated heat treatments what torch can't do. My question is about heat treating 17-4ph to H 900 condition. From the spec sheets I have found that it needs to be kept in 900F for one hour and air cooled. Does this mean that after one hour take it out from the furnace and leave it to room temperature to cool down? Or does it matter how slowly it will cool down, eg. can I leave it into the furnace for cool down overnight and take it out next morning? I assume this is not ok..

Thank you in advance

Hi,

Thank you in advance

Read the instructions, follow the instructions!

Cook it, take it out to air cool. Done.

Hardness test after you are done HT, to confirm success.

Heat treating 17-4

Hi,

Thank you in advance

If you leave the part in the furnace until the next morning the parts will not harden. Leave it in the furnace one hour per inch of thickness. Then remove and allow to air cool to harden.

Roger

Every where I've worked that heat treated 13-8/15-5/17-4 would turn off the oven, open the door and leave the parts in the oven to cool.

As part of the QC the parts were always checked for hardness, I don't remember there being any problems with resulting harness from cooling with that method.

Back