What's new
What's new

High Quantity Deep Engraving - Need Advice

AL7075

Plastic
I am looking at production quantities of logos for a customer on his parts - 2000 a month. Logos are 1/2"*1/2" and are 0.015" deep. Overall parts are 4 - 5" long by 1" wide. What engraving options are out there that can meet this production demand? Equipment and companies are on the table.

I'm not sure it is an option for you, but you can have coining dies made and either bolt the logos on or adhere them. The two oval looking parts come with an adhesive backing. I had a difficult time finding a domestic source for these.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I am looking at production quantities of logos for a customer on his parts - 2000 a month. Logos are 1/2"*1/2" and are 0.015" deep. Overall parts are 4 - 5" long by 1" wide. What engraving options are out there that can meet this production demand? Equipment and companies are on the table.

What material? Fiber laser sounds ideal - probably a 50 to 100 watt

I was just working with our CO2 laser today and couldn't get engraving deeper than surface marking without it looking terrible. Definitely not visible through any coating, but some more experienced people may have better luck.

Are the parts aluminum? Can you stamp them in a press?

Sorry guys for the late reply, just got finished with my AS9100 audit and then Christmas hit.

Yes, it is 6061 aluminum. I need to put a logo in and it seems that the engraving time is gong to take too long, making the price point unprofitable. Logo is approx. 0.015" deep, on an angle. I thought about stamping it but the detail needs to be there and I cant have the deformation push to the inside of outside - the logo really cant go on until the last operation.

Well it sure sounds like machining is the way to go. You need crisp, angled, decent depth, and no undue forces.

Might look at a very high-RPM mill. 27k RPM can make quick work of it.

I'm curious though -- what is "takes too long" for you? I only have 16k RPM, but engraving is rarely a runtime issue. If your logo fits in a 1/2" square, I should think the time required to machine the logo would be pretty modest. Put a Brother Speedio S500 or Haas DM1 or 2 next to whatever machine is doing the previous ops and get on with it. You have 24k parts per year after all.

Regards.

Mike

What is the problem, actual machining or handling?
Your hands need to be busy while the machining is being done...perhaps loading a gang fixture.
Time the machining time and the not machining time. Sometimes one can load while machining is active.

One might need two machines if there is wasted/waiting time.

I had a mentor who told me to count Hippotomouses with each action and you will do better. Just setting a wrench in a different place can save a job.

Yes, it is about machining time. I only have 10K spindles and some of the details require an 0.020" wide slot and crisp stops in the corners, so it becomes an endmill and then engraving tool endeavor. I do not have an extra machine for this to work on and I have other customers so I am just trying to figure out alternate ways to do it at the moment. Gang fixture is definitely the way to go though.

Back