What's new
What's new

Hobart RC-166 welder please help get users manual

Panebola

Plastic
Hello, I'm new to the forum. I was hoping someone could help me obtaining a user's manual or explain to me how tu use my Hobart RC-166 MIG MAG welder/spool welding machine. It's been made in Amsterdam don't think American Hobart branch can tell me anything about it. Still waiting for reply from them anyway.
It's says on the machine it can be used on 3 phase 230 voltage but no idea how to change the setup.. Also there are some mysterious regulators near the wire spool i have no clue how to use.

Sorry I was posting from my mobile and due to simplified page version saw no option for adding pictures. Here we go:
hobart.jpg

hobart2.jpg

The part wrapped in plastic is welding current switch.

DSCI0175.jpg

Looks like this is the place for switching voltage and so on. But how??

DSCI0180.jpg

I'll post a pic of magical switches tomorrow, the picture I took came out poor quality.

Thanks, tried it to, they know nothing as well.

I was a little afraid of that, as I said before the 166 is a orphan, As far as I know its been out of production for some time.
ITW purchased Miller electric and some time after that purchased control of Hobart.
Some machines where rebadged, others were discontinued and there was a split in engine drives.
I will look in our old Hobart GMAW tech books and see if I can come up with something, I don't have a lot of the international stuff though. Most of it was 50 cycle input never intended for export.

I will look in our old Hobart GMAW tech books and see if I can come up with something,

Thanks!:)

Biggest problem is get it running on 3 phase 230V, I guess connections have to be changed here somewhere:
There are 3 black wires (bridges) one on top of another, they are all connected together on the back/left.
They are connected to red blue and yellow wires on the right. Looks like those bridges can be all moved to the left one position.
There is also one red wire coming out in the front, one free place on the right to it. I moved it to the right and the fan went much faster, measured voltage on the fan was almost twice as high. I will take a camera in the evening and make some more measurements.

DSCI0181.jpg

Where does it state on the machine that it can be reconfigured for 3 phase input.
I am far from up to speed on European Hobart, but I don't recall there being a 3 phase option on these.
It should have multi single phase input voltage ranges that would require input re-linking depending upon what voltage was selected. I will look in my old Hobart tech Monday and see what I can find.

Data plate states 220v/380V 10A/6A 3 phases.
It worked on 3 phase supply before i don't think it can work on 1 phase without conversion

IMG_0907.jpg
On the pic below you can see a red wire attached at pos. 6. When I moved it to 7 to see what happens the voltage that supplies the fan and a 3 phase connector went up.
Also the vertical row of black wires lookes like it could be moved one position, from 4 to 5. There are free wires on pos. 5 in the back. Black wires in pos. 1 (vertical row) are all connected together on the back. So those black wires are basically jumpers.
IMG_0909.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0910.jpg
    IMG_0910.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 51
I went through all my old Hobart international literature, I don't have much on the European stuff , however I could nothing on the RC 166 manufactured in Amsterdam. Question, There was not a Hobart wiring diagram attached to the inside panel of the power source?

Back