What's new
What's new

Late model Durma press brakes.............Good bad the ugly?

david n

Diamond
I know nothing of the brand. Any good? Made in Eastern Europe? How much support here in the States? What about their control/back gage? Proprietary or can any tech fix 'em?

One of my customers has a durma shear, but that is made somewhere in the Pacific. Ordering parts and support is ok, nothing special. They dont answer the phone though. It is more of when the tech decides to answer it.

They had the manufacturer tech come out and do a service and did a minimal job.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Durma is a Turkish company, which is currently the worlds largest manufacturer of fab equipment like press brakes, ironworkers, rolls, and even laser cutting tables. Cheaper than the Germans or Italians, or the last couple of US companies still standing, more expensive than the chinese, quality is in between those two poles as well.

The Turks make pretty decent machinery, usually copied from German designs. They have a 2000 year or so history of metalworking.
I own a set of turkish rolls (not Durma) that have worked above and beyond spec for over 20 years, with one small transformer that cost ten bucks being the only problem in that time.

If the price is right, Durma is a decent bet, and, for many of them, parts are available.
The have a branch in Michigan- you could email or call for details.
Welcome to Durma North America | Durma North America

As Ries said, they are Turkish. To the best of my knowledge, the Turks are one of the worlds largest producers, if not the largest producer of fabrication equipment, with a number of recognized brands. Durma being the biggest of them.

I have a late model Turkish press brake that I bought new (MVD, not Durma), and I've been 100% pleased with it. Pretty much all of the Turkish stuff I've looked at uses non proprietary controls and components - open the electrical cabinet on my MVD, and pretty much all you see is Schneider, Siemens and Mitsubishi branded components. I had the option of either an ESA or a Delem control, both of which are used on dozens of different press brake manufacturers, so yes, you'll be able to get anyone to service them, and parts are readily available in the US.

The one thing to avoid would be a machine with a Cybelec brand control. I know that some Durmas came optioned with them, though I don't know what age range that would be. I was told by a couple different people to avoid that particular control (on any machine).

When I was looking, the Turkish ones were a no brainer compared to the American stuff - was a bit cheaper, and quite a bit ahead in terms of capabilities and whatnot.

What size are you looking at?

Back