What's new
What's new

Homemade TIG welder.

Sound cool... ok ok ok poor pun. Looks like it works. How would you turn the gas on and off? You would have to use a solinoid and use the on/off switch with a delay.

L

I have a 100 amp 24 volt military alternator I am going to power with a 12 HP Kohler. Use a old B-17 heated suit rheostat to control the feild with unregulated DC from the engines alternator. I was thinking of a small portable stick welder, but I may try this tig set-up.

Kent

Alain,
You get a torch with a valve at the head. I quarter turn and you have gas. It'd work but I would get tired of sitting 5' from an alternator turing 6000 RPM. Wheeeeee

Yeah it would work fine. I have made many "weldernators" over the years and adding gas is easy. Find a torch with a gas valve on it - i have one with a sliding valve, easy to move.

The nice thing about these is the output of the alternator is high frequency DC. All the electrons go in the same direction, but at differing amplitudes. Super controlable and good penetration. Works great with stick too but the arc sure does whistle!

This got me thinking, so Ive been looking at different ideas and plans to build a TIG, some use the alternator, others scavenge Microwave oven parts..... All seems kinda fun to me.

Has anyone built both of these types? Are there advantages to either?

Tim

Back