What's new
What's new

Horizontal Bandsaw HUNT

Workhaus

Plastic
Hi y'all -

I'm in the market for a horizontal bandsaw for my somewhat small shop - roughly 30'x60'. We're already running with a 5'x10' Koike plasma and 48" Tennsmith brake and other various tools around the perimeter of the building. Preferably the horizontal bandsaw wouldn't take up and immense amount of floor space - hopefully less than 2'x3', but I've got a forklift so things can be moved.

I'll mainly be cutting square tubing, probably a good bit of 1/4" and 3/8" flat bar and 1/4"-3" angle mild steel. I'd like to be able to cut 60 degrees [more if that's even possible]. I've like the vise to be robust and the angles to stay true over time. I've got 3PH power coming in the shop, but I'd probably have to add an outlet if I was to go with a 3PH machine. Most of the stock I cut down is under 4" square, so I feel like a 7"x12" or even a 6"x10" should be more than enough.

I'm definitely avoiding Baileigh [as I see an ad for Baileigh while I'm posting this] and Jet. I've seen a few KAMA and DAKE that seemed pretty solid and affordable. Any thoughts on these brands? What should I look out for in way of blade types, cut quality and motor size?? I definitely don't want to buy something underpowered and regret it on a project. I wish Clausing was in my cards, but that might be right above my ideal price range.

SHOW ME WHAT YOU GOT

:willy_nilly:

Don't rule out the Parma/work-a-matic/roll-in/baxter Verticut style.

Last edited:
Hi y'all -

I'm in the market for a horizontal bandsaw for my somewhat small shop - roughly 30'x60'. We're already running with a 5'x10' Koike plasma and 48" Tennsmith brake and other various tools around the perimeter of the building. Preferably the horizontal bandsaw wouldn't take up and immense amount of floor space - hopefully less than 2'x3', but I've got a forklift so things can be moved.

I'll mainly be cutting square tubing, probably a good bit of 1/4" and 3/8" flat bar and 1/4"-3" angle mild steel. I'd like to be able to cut 60 degrees [more if that's even possible]. I've like the vise to be robust and the angles to stay true over time. I've got 3PH power coming in the shop, but I'd probably have to add an outlet if I was to go with a 3PH machine. Most of the stock I cut down is under 4" square, so I feel like a 7"x12" or even a 6"x10" should be more than enough.

I'm definitely avoiding Baileigh [as I see an ad for Baileigh while I'm posting this] and Jet. I've seen a few KAMA and DAKE that seemed pretty solid and affordable. Any thoughts on these brands? What should I look out for in way of blade types, cut quality and motor size?? I definitely don't want to buy something underpowered and regret it on a project. I wish Clausing was in my cards, but that might be right above my ideal price range.

SHOW ME WHAT YOU GOT

We have a Cosen made in Korea and its pretty good actually. I liked that it was a robust machine, well made and the price wasn't bad. 5 years and we have not had one problem.

COSEN SAWS. Band saws manufacturer/Metal sawing machine : The pinnacle of cutting performance. Metal cutting band saw, miter cutting saw, CNC band saw, Structural Fabrication Machines.

Honestly the square footage of the band saw is the irreverent bit, its the std length stick of material you want hanging out of it that truly matters.

Saw wise, especially in a smaller shop look at something with a swiveling head if you want mitering, not a swiveling vice! I love IMET saws, but don't think there common over there.

AT home I have an Ellis 2000. Smaller foot print about 48 x 72. The Down Feed is OK but there is no feed hold. The Clamping lacks a little. But the saw cuts straight and it has pretty sounf foundation for a Saw of it's type.

At the plant we have a HydMech S20. Awesome Saw for a manual. Nice feed system, feed hold, blade speed adjustment, work light, laser and a nice clamping system. Take up about an 8 x 8 foot area. The Working height is higher than average. My opinion the best saw for the money.

We also have a Scotchman Cold Saw with a NC feeder on it. Limited on size and angle and without the feeder takes up about a 3 x 3 foot area.

As someone else mentioned the feeder and stop systems are the space suck on these. I have 26 feet on the feed side of my saw and about 12 feet on the stop side.

The home shop saw:

IMG_6962.jpg

IMG_6013.jpg

You dont mention budget.

There are a bunch of similar, chinese 7x12's under a grand. There are a lot of real industrial saws that are ten to twenty thousand. There are well made older american machines that are often cheap, but may need rebuilding. Each has its market.

A lot of people like Ellis. For light duty stuff, they are fine. Me, I bend square tubing cold all the time, and find the idea of a saw made from one a bit underwhelming. But they are a lot of bang for the buck.

I am currently running a Jet, which swivels to 45 degrees, but the cast iron table alone weighs about as much as two Ellis'. Jet is an importer, not a manufacturer, much like Baleigh or Grizzly- so the brand name is less important than the actual factory that made the tool- for example, Jet sells drill presses made in Sweden that are world class, and 7x10 lathes made in China that are complete trash.

If you have the money, buy a Cosen or and Amada or a HEM or a similar industrial machine.
If you have the time and patience, buy an older Do-all or Wells or another old american machine, and rebuild it.

this is my Jet- as mentioned above, the tables and stops are essential, and take up a lot more space than the saw. It was the right saw for me- available when I needed it, plug and play, heavy and accurate, and reasonably priced for what it is. I live in a machinery desert, used saws are hard to find and very expensive. I have been running this for two years now, cutting literally tons of steel and stainless, its very very accurate, fast, and I like it. Many people will hate it because of the sticker on it with the letters Jet. But it was made in a decent factory in Taiwan, with Meehanite castings, and its just what I needed.

Which is to say- look at what is available, without preconceptions.

Attachments

• IMG_0476.jpg
    IMG_0476.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 198
Hi y'all -

SHOW ME WHAT YOU GOT

2' x 3' floor space? one of those little hf saw shaped devices will fit that space. Do you want to saw or work on it? Wells makes a nice saw, people like Ellis, I like my Kalamazoo, I have used DoAll and Amada, excellent and expensive. I have never seen a horizontal with a vice that would swivel more than 45 degrees. If it did you would need a much bigger saw than 7 x 12.

there are a bunch of saws out there that will swivel to 60 degrees, ranging from a Taiwan/china design that about ten different companies import and badge for about 2 grand, to bigger 10x16 models. They are certainly out there.
my advice, whatever you buy, try to get the most weight, mass, horsepower, and the largest blade, both in width and length, that you can afford. I cut 3/8" round on the 10"x 16", it works fine.
I have never wished I had LESS saw.

If you end up with a saw that doesn't swing (just the vice moves)
You could simply install a caster wheel on each corner of the saw,
a pin in the floor in the middle of the saw, into a hole
on the saw base.

Simply swing the saw.

For blades make sure to buy bi-metal blades. They will out last carbon steel blades by many times.

edit: *as long as nobody tries to cut hardened steel with them.

Hi y'all -

SHOW ME WHAT YOU GOT

I agree that Ellis is good bang for the buck,I used to have one but sold it for some reason but overall I could'nt fault it for the money. These days I have a Marvel vertical saw and some cold saws. If I could only have one it would be the marvel as it does everything and seems to be resistant to employees. Recently I bought a Razorguage automatic stop for my cold saw and that's the business. The time saving alone in not having to use a tape measure has paid for itself. Lastly I have a Knuth horizontal mitering saw that I believe is made in Taiwan and that's pretty good as well. I prefer the height of these types of saws compared to the Ellis as the material sits a little higher than waist height so reduces bending down to much. It was pretty fairly priced as well.Overall I would stick with something as simple as possible especially if you have employees,they are always the wild card variable in this equation :scratchchin:

small foot print and has a vice strong enough for 60 degree cuts limits options. Everett abrasive or cold saw are the only options I can think of. here is quick ebay result Scotchman Bewo Cold Saw PKPD | eBay (coolant pump is just a little giant submersible, easy replacement)for self centering saw (way easier to figure cut list off center than shorts and long points). The air over hydraulic has enough umph to work, and blades can get resharpened. foot petal clamp and cut is the bees knees on miter saws. How many parts per day? 10, 100, 1000 or more? Infeed rolls and staging are the real space users - 20' x 1' is 20 square, and that is just infeed side. Bandsaws are faster better cheaper, but not as convenient or small. If you cutting 10 - 50 parts, contractor grade abrasive saw you can stick under bench. yeh, the vises suck, they do hold true the best (and slow) out of all saws (medical implants are cut with abrasive saws!).

You are better off with a bigger saw 10x16 at least. Then weld on wheels so you can roll it out for the job at hand and then after roll it into a corner for small jobs and storage. I have done the same thing. Mine is from Taiwan, 3 phase, 3 HP internal coolant pump and tank with hydraulic feed. The vice swings 60 degrees and the blade length is 1"x 130". This saw would typically sell for $2000 to $1500 used in good condition.

Back