Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jamscal View Post
    I created a nice pile of scrap stock with hooks and eyes on the ends...I could probably waste a lot of time and material just bending stuff randomly.
    No kidding on that part. I think the first thing I did messing with it was to bend some eyes.

What does your base look like? I started building a new cabinet stand for my other bender and want to do the same for the Hossfeld.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

here is my base. its kinda ugly, but very functional.
    shelves, below, for heavier bigger stuff.
    and on both the left and the right, angled pins of 3/4" round bar, which can hold smaller dies.
    one rack is for pins, with 1" holes and small pieces of pipe at the bottom to hold the ends aligned.
    In the back, slots for the handle and extension handle. Everything is pretty much right there, easy to reach, in the open.
    hit it with the air hose every once in a while to blow off the dust.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hossfeld4a.jpg  

3. Likes Fabworks liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had an old oddly shaped machine base with 1" thick top and bottom, and the rest is made from 3/8 plate +/-.

I had to weld some heavy angle to be able to bolt the bender too, but I can store tools in the center section and build some racks and a pin holder to hold tooling.

Still having trouble posting pics from my google account...

Google Photos

hossfeld1.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks to both of you for sharing.

Ries, that looks like it has a few miles on it! I like the storage for the pins. That's a major difference vs. other benders, having a variety of pins to keep track of.

Jamscal, that looks beefy! Do you think you will wind up bolting it down, or is the sheer mass enough to keep it in place?

I'm thinking of building my stand to be mobile, but with some sort of flip-down anchor setup to attach it to my welding table, or truck hitch when I'm using it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's anchored down. I bent some 1/2" bar stock unanchored but 3/4 moved it...even though it's prob 500lbs or more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here's a couple shots of my stand/setup, not the best stand but it works OK. The main upright of the stand came with the bender and may just be a stock Hoss stand (bought bender frame used), we added another "foot" to help support the hydraulic setup. The old tool box is overflowing with dies and I'd love to expand and improve the dies storage, but other stuff keeps taking priority over doing so. For what it's worth I can't imagine not having it bolted down unless you just plan on using hydraulics.

20180215_175432.jpg
    20180215_174727.jpg
    20180215_174744.jpg

8. Likes Graham Gott liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I really like my Hossfeld.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Some years ago I found some drawings that someone had made of a Hossfeld #2 and some of the accessories. The complete set is available at the URL below. The #2 Hossfeld that I bought was missing some of the pins and other accessories and I have been able to make them using the information in the drawings.

Bender Similar to the Hossfeld #2

I would like to try to make one of the bulldozer dies. I recall seeing one somewhere online that someone had made but now I can't find it. Does anyone have information on a shop-made bulldozer die?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Don Kinzer View Post
    I would like to try to make one of the bulldozer dies.
    I found a photo of a shop-made bulldozer die similar to the 60B2 on my computer (but still I don't recall where I got it). Also needed but not shown is the 60B1 center pin and the rather simple 53B pin (just a shorter 3/4" diameter pin).

bulldozer_die.jpg

I can probably guess at the dimensions given that the hole at the back end is about 13/16" diameter. However, if someone that has the 60B1 and 60B2 can provide some of the critical dimensions that would be great.

Here is a URL for a YouTube video showing how the bulldozer die is used:
    Make Square Bends with Our Unique "Bulldozer" Die - YouTube

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Hossfeld Bender - Die costs for Canucks

Quote Originally Posted by D KIRBY View Post
    Am I right in assuming that the dies are not interchangeable between the Hossfeld and the JD Squared.
    The reason that I ask is because I thought that I read somewhere that there was someone who had copied the Hossfeld, and the dies were cheaper to buy.

Awhile ago I bought the Hossfeld dies to do 1" sg. tubing, and by the time it got to me it cost me $1,200.
    It is hard to justify that kind of expense for what I do, and I certainly can't be buying too many more.
    Dave
    Hi Dave:
    First off I'd like to add my thanks for Ries for all the advice he has given me - he is very generous and gracious in responding even to unsolicited queries and sharing his immense knowledge of all things Hossfeld - Thanks Ries.
    Now about the cost of Hossfeld dies in Canada - as a fellow Canuck I find the extra costs tacked onto the dies by the Hossfeld dealers in Canada here nothing short of highway robbery sanctioned by our own Canadian government. My last quote included freight of an unknown amount plus a brokerage fee plus an unknown markup on each die plus some extra for the weak CDN dollar.
    Fortunately there is a workaround - unfortunately it doesn't help that weak dollar though. It should work well for somebody from Scotland, Ontario - stop me if you have already heard this.
    First off, order your dies from Jeff at American Bender, he is a first rate fellow to deal with and is willing to work with you on the shipping. Secondly get a drop box in a nearby town across the American border. Have your dies shipped there. Once they are at your drop box cross the border and pick them up and carry them across yourself. Declare them at the border as American made machine tools and you will pay the sales tax (a bit more than I since you have to pay for your better and more expensive government in Ontario) and be on your way. You are likely about an hour from the border - Buffalo?. I need to drive 3 plus hours from where I live and it still pays to do so. With the current exchange the dies are still pricy, but nobody else makes everything Hossfeld does. The dies American Bender makes are first rate, but they are limited to the more common ones. E-mail me for further details if you like bwlarson at shaw.ca or send a PM.

Barry W. Larson
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada eh!

13. Likes D KIRBY liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Barry for your insight on the Hossfeld dies and American Bender
    I don't like the Buffalo crossing that much and I would drive 2hrs. out of my way to avoid the Detroit crossing
    Actually I have used a mailbox in Port Huron Mich. to pick up parts that I have ordered, and they would call me to let me know they were in. 1 1/2 hr. drive for me!!
    I still can not believe how much cheaper it is for shipping in the U.S.

Now about that better and more expensive Ontario government that you talk about... that thing will be replaced in a few short months, and if not, I may be joining you in Calgary. LOL!!!

I was just wondering if by chance, do you have the hydraulic attach. for your bender?
    The reason I ask is because I have been considering building one for mine. I have already started to gather parts for one, but don't know how long of a ram I need.

This project was going to take place over the winter months but a CNC project got in the way and pushed the Hossfeld to the back a little bit.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Dave:

Actually I'll be moving to Southern Ontario likely next year - my wife and I are building a house near where she grew up (SW of London). We won't exactly be neighbors, but perhaps we can compare notes once we are down there.

My Hossfeld will be moving with me and I too have contemplated a hydraulic attachment, but like yourself am hung up on the cylinder length. Maybe query Jeff at American Bender. Their Hossfeld clone uses a long stroke cylinder as opposed to the ratchet setup of the Hossfeld. I'm thinking a hydraulic pack from Princess auto; a suitable sized cylinder from the same vendor; some hardware from American Bender and you should have a reasonably priced hydraulic bender. What size hydraulic pack do you have and where did you buy?

What was your CNC project - it sounds interesting?

I hear you regarding the government - I was going to say anything would be an improvement, but then I lived in Ontario during Bob Rae's reign of terror - LOL!

Cheers,
    Barry W. Larson
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada eh!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Barry, you have a PM. Trying not to clutter up the OP's post.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well crap... looks like my photo links are no good anymore. I'll have to edit the original post and just attach them.

At any rate, I invested in some feed along dies for square tubing and messed with them over the weekend making part of the first prototype bar stool for the new home my wife and I are building.

The first photo is the hoop I bent for the bottom with an 8" inside radius die. With springback, it came out at a 16-1/4" ID. There's a bit of a technique involved in bending complete circles to get the ends to pass each other, but the process is pretty straightforward and quick.

Next is the base of the seat, which has a 36" radius on the front and back.

The top of the back is also a 36" radius. I wound up making a jig to assemble the pieces.

All this is 3/4" 14 gauge mild steel, bending manually. This is the edge of capacity with it bolted to my welding table, which isn't anchored to the floor. I'll be making a good stand and anchoring it at the new place.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Graham Gott; 04-24-2018 at 04:48 AM.

18. Likes Ries, sfriedberg liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just bought a hossfeld #2 And it is missing the ratchet bar and support bar, do you happen to have dimensions of the bars so I can recreate them?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Do you mean for the hydraulic setup? Somewhere in my search for information about Hossfelds, I ran across a sketch of one. You might try Googling "Hossfeld bender hydraulic conversion" if that's what you're asking about.