What's new
What's new

Is this hot dipped galvanized...or ? (photo)

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
I want to order a custom workbench top and I like the looks of this one. Looks more "aggressive" (flakey ?) than galvanized siding from Lowes for example and wondering if the two have different processes..

Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 3.03.06 PM.jpg

Also...is there a "bright" galvanized vs "regular"...or is bright just a marketing term ?

(now counting the minutes before you know who says something like "who cares, it will get all scratched up anyway" :stirthepot:)

Can't tell from the small picture, but hot-dipped will give a rougher surface, while plated is smoother and may (or may not) give the "crystalline" surface look afterwards.

I think it's very unlikely that a worktop surface would be hot dipped.

That is the G90 hot dip galvanize. You cant order g90 unless you are having it hot dipped yourself.

If you want steel, get zinc plated. That is as close as you can get.

If you cant order what you want, better get plain stainless.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

That is the G90 hot dip galvanize. You cant order g90 unless you are having it hot dipped yourself.

If you want steel, get zinc plated. That is as close as you can get.

If you cant order what you want, better get plain stainless.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

That is also my understanding, that it is done to order after fabrication. I have however seen very similar galvanize on steel-clad particle board used to fabricate shield rooms for radiated emissions testing. The panels were one inch HDFB with heavily galvanized steel sheets bonded to both faces. No idea whether the panel manufacturer had the sheets dipped or purchased them that way.

In the old days, you found galvanized sheet with more dramatic "spangles".
I dont think its electro vs hot dipped- I used to buy an electro galvanized sheet from a sign supply place, and it was an all over dull gray.
I think it has more to do with the finish quality of the sheet they use, and the process the factory uses- for sheet, its usually a several thousand pound roll, 4' wide, being run thru a series of tanks, first acid, then rinse, then zinc, then rinse again.
I have gotten plenty of hot dip stuff done that had big spangles, but if it was hot roll, it was a less shiny spangle.
Plus, galvanizing oxidizes with time and weather, so exterior hot dip will get dull gray faster than interior.

I used to work with architects who wanted to inspect the spangles before we fabbed- and we found that it was very hit or miss from steel suppliers for spangle quality and size.
Pretty much all the galvy sheet I have bought in the last 20 years or so- which is probably 40 or so sheets, at different times and from different suppliers- has been noticeably lacking in good spangles.

I think the current mass market stuff is more even in appearance.
And I think the only way to know if a sheet is going to be close to what you want is to inspect in person before buying.

Looks like a big piece of jig plate.

I don't care what the surface of the bench is made out of.
As long as I use these rubber mats here with interwoven fibers. Can stand up to solvents and heavy items.

(Whatever that top is made out of, it sure is a thick one)

Looks like a big piece of jig plate.

I don't care what the surface of the bench is made out of.
As long as I use these rubber mats here with interwoven fibers. Can stand up to solvents and heavy items.

(Whatever that top is made out of, it sure is a thick one)

I am pretty sure its a sheet metal wrap. Pretty common technique for lab tables, industrial restaurants, and many shop benches. I have done it quite a few times myself for work tables, and, using fancy textured stainless steel, for home furniture. The bedside tables flanking my bed have a similar look, plywood top, built up edges, wrapped in 22 gage textured stainless from Rigidized. bend it, weld the corners, sand em out. 1NA(R) - Rigidized Metals Sample Patterns - Textured Metal

The bedside tables flanking my bed have a similar look, plywood top, built up edges, wrapped in 22 gage textured stainless from Rigidized. bend it, weld the corners, sand em out. Rigidized Metals Sample Patterns - Textured Metal
The small uncle works in a place that does that stuff. They have hundreds of styles. Their sample book weighs about 200 lbs, too.

I think they'll do any style you want, including big spangles :)

Back