What's new
What's new

How to bend a pipe clamp?

Jim Moser

Hot Rolled
5260365dad0d024d5447b624a90f5b82.jpg

Would like to make some of these out of 1/8 by 3/4 inch SS, used to be avaliable from fishing gear suppliers but not now. I have a hosfield copy bender and a press brake but not shure how to approach it. Just need to tighten on some 1-1/2 inch pipe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do you have a hossfield book? Like idacal said, bend your ears out first. Then set your machine up to bend an eyebolt. Make a form to slip on the top pivot that is the size of the desired radius.

To make lots of them in your press brake, make a die that bends the ear and about 90 degrees of the radius. Do this on each end of your blank, now you have a sort of w shaped blank. Then you need a horn die that is used to form the center of the radius.

Assuming you actually have a hossfeld clone, as opposed to a chinese made bender that looks vaguely like a 1/2 scale hossfeld, but has omitted most of the details that make a hossfeld work, you would drill or punch the holes first, then set the length stop, bend both ends with the ear, using the radius of bend stop. then, you would bend the circular part on top, using a correct size ID die for the curve. I have a big stack of 2" slices of every size of pipe from 1" up to about 6", and I bend things like this around them, on top.

If what you have is a Harbor Freight bender, its a bit harder, as they dont have top bending capability, they have those stupid short pins with a knob on top. Useless. You could make real pins for it, I suppose.

Attachments

• hossfeld3.JPG
    hossfeld3.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 132
Thanks, yes just a harbor freight and I wasn't aware of top bending but sure could make make some longer pins and give it a try, not quite as easy as pouring piss out of a boot, appreciete the costructive replys.
Jim

f7264515614accb27cb6258694ec492d.jpg

4c6a3503ea3e426b77fe1cda87b34b7c.jpg

Thanks Ries for the picture, did find time for a rainy day project, I did get some clamps bent on the inside die but they needed help with a vice and clamp to finish, Hopefully next time it will be easier and more repeatable. I don't have the space or need very often for a real bender but this thing works OK.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Jim, I hadn't seen this post until now. I'm around the corner and down the street from you on 17th Ave, we have a very well tooled Hoss and a Geka iron worker that can punch the holes. If you need to make more clamps swing by and we can talk it over. BTB: I bought a Burr King tumbler from you years ago.

Hi Gary, thanks for the offer, got what I needed done, thought about making a batch but have other more interresting things to build.
Jim

Back