What's new
What's new

How does a plasma cutter torch work?

ken the car guy

Plastic
Does it keep a continuous spark or a pulsating spark? I have a Powermate 20 plasma cutter. When you hit the trigger, you get a good spark, but the spark goes out right away. We have plenty of air flow, 60-65 lbs. Can somebody help me?

Make sure your ground is good. Make sure the wire from the machine to the clamp is good. I have a Miller 40amp, if my ground isn't making connection it will cut off after about 20 seconds to keep from damaging the machine..
Your spark might be the high frequency trying to start the arc.

When I push the button to cut, you can hear and see the relays working. The spark is real strong, but that's it. My ground was right there at the cut. The air is coming out perfect. I just put all new parts in the torch. It doesn't go past the spark, it won't cut.

Your machine is not "transferring" the arc. Check your ground cable. there mey be a break in it someplace often close to the clamp. Take an ohm meter anc check continuity from the clamp to the machine.

In most of these cheap machines they us a contactor that is used to control the arc transfer. This could be bad as well.

Best guess this is a Century OEMED machine.

Check to make sure that the tip and consumables (nozzle and electrode) are installed correctly. It may be possible to install it in the wrong order, causing it to short out internally.

usually if the consumables are not proper the machine will not even let an arc out. macona has hit the nail on the head. the arc is not connecting or 'transfering". i find this when i havent taken enough on the first pass and try to go thru the bs left after the first pass. the plasma arc wont "stay lit" but will pop on and off if there isnt desent metal to be taken away. i have found that not only the electrode but nozzle also will effect the torch staying lit. as they wear the transfer seems harder to keep. the older esab pcm750 square metal case would keep gettin till then cows comehome but the new gomer pile fiberglass hut is way more fussy. the arc just doesnt KEEP transfering.

Back