What's new
What's new

How square is angle iron? Necessary to mill one face?

candersen10

Plastic

Attachments

• IMG_6839.jpg
    IMG_6839.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 345
  • IMG_6752.jpg
    IMG_6752.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 318
Last edited:
Check with your supplier.

There are published tolerances.

What did one of your Mech-es show as required tolerances on the d-r-a-w-i-n-g ?

Or.....If your milling slots and such, laser cut flat plate, and then press brake
into angle.

Should come off the laser, then onto the press brake.

Ready to assemble.

It depends, steel can be good one batch and 3* off on another. It's the same as asking for 48x96 sheet of steel cut in half, it will be 48 1/4 x 48 1/2 as the sheets come 48 1/2 x 96 1/2.

If you want stock that's almost always perfect use aluminum.

Even stainless isn't always square, but it always comes down to where the material came from. My "good" quality supplier has been cheating out lately.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

angle is always machined if you want a .001" flatness and perpendicularity tolerance.
if you got a .100" tolerance then it dont often need to be machined just measured to confirm its within .100" tolerance

You can get bright mild steel angle, the size range is a bit more limited, but it has nice square corners, both external and internla and will be plenty accurate enough for stuff like that when you want to stick with steel not shiny wood!

*sigh*. No, Pilgim. No mill required. If it is off a skosh more than the application permits (rare that.Damned rare..)?

One just BENDS the silly stuff. Touch with an angle grinder, maybe.

That isn't good enough? Spec a material that IS.

They make bed-rails out of this s**t. Not submarines.

Not if it was die steel, after all.

:(

Most I have found better than or close to +- .010.. Grinding and even milling can release stresses and so may not come out perfect/ or as good as before. Straight is another matter but your product seems to not need perfect..

Aluminum angle is often very close to square.
*Nice looking carts..what are they used for?

Back