What's new
What's new

Hydraulic help for shop built notcher

joebass

Aluminum
I purchased a brand new hydraulic unit and control box for a materialift vertical reciprocating conveyer at an auction. I would like to use the unit as a hydraulic source for a 90 degree notcher. It has a hydraforce SV10-20M -4P - 24AP Normally closed 24V solenoid valve plumbed into it. It was used with a telescoping single action cylinder. I will be using a double action with a foot pedal to power the solenoid. Ideally I'd want a momentary pedal push down and the cylinder moves out. Take your foot off and it retracts. I probably will need a limit switch when the cylinder is retracted to direct flow back to tank. I believe I need a 4 way 3 position valve?

Right now I'm using a monster 15hp power pack
with a hand valve and have to plug in a long heavy cord when I use it. Am I on the right track?

It looks like your pump is a gear or vane pump, you will need an open spool directional control valve, either manual or solenoid activated. The fluid will circulate freely until the valve diverts it to the cylinder. If you use the solenoid option, you can use an electric foot pedal. A single spool valve mounted on a cast iron manifold and use whatever voltage solenoid coils you want. Try Surplus Center, they have valves ,manifolds , hoses, all fairly cheap.

Curious... how thick of material are you notching? Notching is shearing. Shearing will push your upper blade away from the lower blade and put some side load on that cylinder on thicker material especially.

I've never seen a notcher without guides. Could be a box way or set of Danly Die Pins and bushings.

Good luck.

I dont know your hydraulic knowledge level so sorry if its basic stuff you know. If its a gear/ or vane pump you will need an open center double acting valve like this Log splitter valves take the pressure hose that coms out of the pump into the pressure side of the valve then out the other side into were the filter intake is, do away with everything else thats the basic plainest way of doing it. if its a variable flow pump, well that changes things would need to know what you got to figure it out, but basically you need a valve for running a double acting cylinder and thats different from a single acting valve

Curious... how thick of material are you notching? Notching is shearing. Shearing will push your upper blade away from the lower blade and put some side load on that cylinder on thicker material especially.

I've never seen a notcher without guides. Could be a box way or set of Danly Die Pins and bushings.

Good luck.

It's a notching die set out of a Edwards iron worker.

I dont know your hydraulic knowledge level so sorry if its basic stuff you know. If its a gear/ or vane pump you will need an open center double acting valve like this Log splitter valves take the pressure hose that coms out of the pump into the pressure side of the valve then out the other side into were the filter intake is, do away with everything else thats the basic plainest way of doing it. if its a variable flow pump, well that changes things would need to know what you got to figure it out, but basically you need a valve for running a double acting cylinder and thats different from a single acting valve

Yes, I have a basic understanding.

Back