What's new
What's new

Hypertherm 45 torch cap fault . How to bypass

dantech

Plastic
I have an older Hypertherm 45 (2011) on a CNC plasma table with the proper machine torch. and Lately, I've been getting a torch cap fault in the middle of a job. Tried new consumables but the problem persists. The cutter works fine if I install the hand torch. I suspect a broken wire in the main cable. I am looking for a wiring diagram for the torch, or some way of bypassing this cap sensor. I don't want to buy another torch for this older machine because it just not worth it. I need to keep this thing going until I have the funds for a new machine.
Thanks for any help.

IF your Pmax45 is like mine, the torch has a small limit switch in the torch head to ensure the cap is properly seated. Knowing this, I think I'd be out there with my DMM tinkering with it. It might take a minute, but it should be pretty easy to identify.

Thanks Cole! I figured I would ask first. I'm sure it's just a normally open or closed switch, but was concerned that it was some sort of potentiometer that neede to see a certain resistance value.

If your seeing a Torch cap fault yellow led during a cutting cycle first check that the Shield deflector/retaining cap or similar if using Fine cut consumables is installed correctly, You only want to hand snug the components, basically no tighter then turning the parts between two fingers, you can over hand tighten them very easily. Your machine torch has a Cap sensor torch disable switch built into the Plasma machine torch, there pretty much problem free.
There are two wires that complete the safety signal back to the plasma generator, you could have an circuit short in one of the feeds as the torch moves during it's cut cycle. What your describing does not sound like a machine interface problem.
A simple wiggle test of the plasma cable to torch with a meter on the safety cap sensor feed should clear things up.
The wiring diagram for your power source in on line at Hypertherm's web site.
The technical support at Hypertherm is great, give them a call

Back