What's new
What's new

water jetting pressures for paint removal

idacal

Hot Rolled
Im looking at getting a high-pressure water system for paint removal on drilling equipment I have 5 trailer loads of equipment that needs painted, sandblasting is not an option because of the sand getting were its not supposed to. water can be drained out but sand is imbedded, I was looking into a pump in the 20,000 psi range and did not know if anyone here has experience in this type of system and if that is enough psi to cut good paints. I can find factory systems but they dont give a lot of details on psi for certain type coatings. Water Jetting pumps and equipment I can pick a pump up for fairly reasonable price then put together a system but would like feed back from those who have ran this kind of equipment.

I'm not an expert in this area, but I have found that pressures around 250 bar very happily removes paint unintentionally. I also must point out that at that pressure, it becomes difficult to control the nozzle. In that light, I would expect 500 bar would reliably remove paint, but hose and fittings required to perform at that pressure are very stiff and expensive. I would also expect that a nozzle/wand would be very difficult to control manually to the point of being unsafe to use. Just saying.

No experience with 20k psi, fair amount of experience with 3500 psi steam cleaner (same as 250 bar mentioned above), and agree that with a tight nozzle, the paint peels right off, sometimes unintentionally. Not sure what you need to strip, but water getting into bearings is an issue.

Have you looked into dry ice blasting?

Have you looked into dry ice blasting? I have, the rates for equipment rental were not cheap, plus I need a reefer to store bulk delivery of dry ice, neither of which was cheap. It very well may be the answer to my paint stripping problems, but at current pricing levels, I will never know.

Have you looked into dry ice blasting? I have, the rates for equipment rental were not cheap, plus I need a reefer to store bulk delivery of dry ice, neither of which was cheap. It very well may be the answer to my paint stripping problems, but at current pricing levels, I will never know.

Dry ice blasting is NOT recommended for paint removal. It is slow, unreliable and very expensive. Do your own research if you doubt my advice. No matter what you use for media, you will be subject to debris contamination. In every case thorough disassembly and cleaning will still be required.

I have a 3000 psi hot water washer that doesnt even phase this paint that is what we wash everything between jobs with but i havent tried it with a straight nozzle will start there. So the consensus is that 10000 psi should cut most auto style paints? I know there will be paint flakes everywere but that is better than sand i can get a used 10000 psi system for less than a decent hot water system. 20000 psi jumps the price a lot The wands are shoulder held and safty protection has to be worn of course that would cut your boot in milliseconds

Back