What's new
What's new

I think I just got a mill and bonus lathe?

memphisjed

Titanium
More comfortable in the fabrication section so this post goes here.
After trying and looking at g70xx mills for a while and torn between that and bpc for a mill I found a bpc clone manual/cnc at a auction. New-ish (2016), name not allowed, (has been mention here tho), I low balled. After not meeting reserve auction house emailed, back and forth, but for 500 more they are covering rigging.
Got invoice, they are throwing in the lathe of another lot for free (1440 NC, damaged control box). Called, and the auctioneer combined lots on sight, so they are honoring the buy mill get lathe free and all rigging charges.
so, for about what ebay wants for a bpc, I am getting a mill and lathe - yall are going to get some stupid questions from me for free!

Good news is I already know a few things, like adding r8 to mt3 to er30 makes mill spin better, amazon mills are just as good as mari, and .stl files are the best model format for cnc work.

I have an odd ball abb/baldor controller I stashed away, but leaning another one I saw at fabtech a few years ago - I liked the developers attitude (and super cheap). either way, the lathe will be containered for a little bit.

I tried, but dangit there is no power in the container. I think I can sneak the bobcat welder into it and run sticks if that will work? I do not see how it will help, but 'wax on wax off' is magical in method teaching.

I tried, but dangit there is no power in the container. I think I can sneak the bobcat welder into it and run sticks if that will work? I do not see how it will help, but 'wax on wax off' is magical in method teaching.

Agree. "wax off" should be a good description for the behaviour of messing with Machine-Tool-Shaped Objects as can't be mentioned on PM.

"Just sod off" could work, too.

well, hoping it is easier than cut off wheels and files for hammer die dovetails- that is the sub reason for mill. And general forging/fly press jigs.
The iron is Sh@rp, the controllers are dull.

recived Friday! WIN_20190830_195834.jpg rough it out with the baby Doosan WIN_20190901_214338.jpgWIN_20190901_220850.jpgflying it over errthing WIN_20190901_222629.jpgratchet straps on beams to swing it home. WIN_20190901_222648.jpg

Amazon is just as good as Mari?!? No, I don’t think so, Mari resells some import stuff, but if they make it, I doubt you can get close on Amazon.
Congrats on the deal.

Amazon is just as good as Mari?!? No, I don’t think so, Mari resells some import stuff, but if they make it, I doubt you can get close on Amazon

the snark font was broken. I have very few mari bits and a set of Kyocera I bought for the companies mill (old, tired, more tired) bpc manual mill. I had a tool awakening after trying a mari over the golden amazon set here. I would take recommendations on hss tools.

notice .stl and r8 to morse to er? all snark, I think.

Congrats on some useful tools. I use my lathe way more than mill for my flypress tooling. I hear you on cutting disks for hammer die dovetails, pre milling machine.
What flypress and hammers do you have?

Congrats on some useful tools. I use my lathe way more than mill for my flypress tooling.
What flypress and hammers do you have?
the tom clark Turkish 50kg - well my dad and I do, in the shop neither of us use enough. here at work we have a seihnler 50. The fly press here and there is a 3. also have a little giant 25 in the Arkansas shop, and a bantom iron worker that I converted the linkage to be variable length for ghetto fab obi work. Also have access to Metal Museum shop with the 6 fly press (I like smaller ones better, more intimate with material).

The mill and lathe are mine, storing here(work) while I do full checks on them before they move to Arkansas toy factory. Of course big big boss man already sold work on the mill....

Both Bondi's had shows of the ages there - Stephen was one that I admired work and more attitude growing up. I remember that one.

Please compose your posts in English.
Bondi is a master blacksmith who is in California, his first name is Micheal. He had a brother, Stephen, who was instrumental in modern design in blacksmithing. Stephen took the concept of massive die grinders and air hammers to fine art, also bridged the pond with Italian and British smiths (Richard Quinnel, et al) when they were stuck in classic design and we were stuck just heating and beating iron. "Towards a New Iron Age" was because of him. He did not color inside the lines, and his box was a sphere.
Both have had work shown at the Metal Museum.

Bondi is a master blacksmith who is in California, his first name is Micheal. He had a brother, Stephen, who was instrumental in modern design in blacksmithing. Stephen took the concept of massive die grinders and air hammers to fine art, also bridged the pond with Italian and British smiths (Richard Quinnel, et al) when they were stuck in classic design and we were stuck just heating and beating iron. "Towards a New Iron Age" was because of him. He did not color inside the lines, and his box was a sphere.

Steve Bondi was, indeed, a visionary. His work was great, and his late life interest in the Italian smith Mazzucotelli opened a lot of people's eyes, including mine. I was lucky enough to see him give a talk on Mazzucotelli at the Flagstaff Abana conference, in 2000. I just saw both Mike and Dick Quinnell in June in Philly at the Iron Symposium there, they are both doing great.

Wow, you missed my point completely. I mean the first rule of any communication is to communicate. You write gibberish. It is not only poor English your use of abbreviations and anachronisms without previous definition or explanation is rude. You are almost as bad as Thermite and he's really smart. Why make the reader struggle to understand your point?

I knew exactly what he said and who he was talking about. The only possible thing "wrong" was, maybe, not filling in the backstory on the Metal Museum and who the Bondi brothers were so non blacksmith people would know what was being discussed.
Link to metal museum:
10th Anniversary Gates | Metal Museum | Memphis, TN!
Stephen Bondi:
Pounding Iron | Night&Day | San Francisco | San Francisco News and Events | SF Weekly
and:
STEPHEN BONDI
Michael Bondi:
Keeping the fire burning on a heavy metal art - SFGate

I know it is rude to bring up and/or compare brothers. That is on me with no defense, I know it is wrong.

Explanation is some people have a strong tie to ones thinking, that separating triggers is hard or impossible. Not a defense, just explanation. I can not apologize, will not fix my emo self; I accept just being wrong about this.

As far as writing I feel your pain on trying to understand how some subject and verbs have a hard time playing nicely with each other. That is for technical writing, which is not what I am here for.

Might want to slide this here conversation (about your "prize") over to hobbymachinist.com

Just sayin'

Back