I think I just got a mill and bonus lathe? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Might want to slide this here conversation (about your "prize") over to hobbymachinist.com

Just sayin'
    Good thought. Friends don't let friends talk about that stuff here on PM. I notice that such discussions sneak in now and then but they don't tell us much.

They should be off limits per the rules of the site.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by steve-l View Post
    Wow, you missed my point completely. I mean the first rule of any communication is to communicate. You write gibberish. It is not only poor English your use of abbreviations and anachronisms without previous definition or explanation is rude. You are almost as bad as Thermite and he's really smart. Why make the reader struggle to understand your point?
    I understood exactly what he was saying- because I actually work in the trades he is discussing, know the people, read the trades journals, and attend the conferences.

If you spoke in machinist talk to someone who sold insurance for a living, they probably would be in the dark, just like you were.

Termite is just obtuse- he speaks in 1950's slang, obsolete britishisms, and his own shorthand that only makes sense to him.
    Jed is speaking about very well know concepts, people, locations, and machines in the forging world, which is a subculture with tens of thousands of members worldwide.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Might want to slide this here conversation (about your "prize") over to hobbymachinist.com

Just sayin'
    Looks like any other Bridgeport clone...not like it's a precision Matthews benchtop or something.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just sayin'
    I have a question about this Amada saw....

Just sayin'

5. Likes Ries liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ries View Post
    I understood exactly what he was saying- because I actually work in the trades he is discussing, know the people, read the trades journals, and attend the conferences.

If you spoke in machinist talk to someone who sold insurance for a living, they probably would be in the dark, just like you were.....
    Amen, Ries.

I, for one, am glad to read discussions of this sort on PM. They're glimpses into unknown-to-me branches of the metal arts - it's education. Learning new stuff from other people is how we got out of the stone age.

For the naysayers... One's not obligated to read digressions, unless a compulsive reader. If you happen to be one of those people who read everything that comes your way (fine print on the toilet paper roll, the newspaper packing material, ISP service agreements, junk mail) ya got a personal problem. Just move on if you ain't interested. But restricting it for others is just raining on the parade of the curious.

7. Likes memphisjed liked this post