What's new
What's new

Idealarc tig 250/250 help

Charley Davidson

Aluminum
I just bought a Lincoln Idealarc tig 250/250 that I was unable to check out when purchased, the owner said the high freq would not work it would just buzz. I got it cheap enough that I won't get hurt, I got the welder,pedal, 2 torches (one dry one cooled) gauges/flow meter, a rebuilt cooler, nicely fabricated bottle/welder cart and an air powered 1/2 ton hoist for $300.00

I can't seem to find the manual online, I just get (About blank) a blank page the product code is 8809 if any of you feel so inclined to look.

I'm gonna go put a power cord on it and see if I can stick weld with it so I can sell my 2 other ac only stick welders. I should get close to my money back with them as both have 50' leads.

Attachments

• DSC01836.jpg
    DSC01836.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 4,053
  • DSC01839.jpg
    DSC01839.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 726
Well I put a pigtail on it and it fired right up & the fan worked but then it started smoking and caught on fire. The transformer that controls the voltage 208/220/??? caught fire. At least it looks like it would be an easy machine to test/repair as there are no circuit boards just individual components.

I went to Lincolns web site, that's where I kept getting the blank page

Well I put a pigtail on it and it fired right up & the fan worked but then it started smoking and caught on fire. The transformer that controls the voltage 208/220/??? caught fire. At least it looks like it would be an easy machine to test/repair as there are no circuit boards just individual components.

Try this I got it ok.

Operators Manuals | Lincoln Electric
ly
You got a good deal those welders are nice machines. Don know why the transformer burnt The voltage taps may have been set incorrect.
I have an older version of yours.
Ron

I would sell the boards on ebay, then scrap the machine for copper. its not worth burning down your shop .

i have the same machine . i like it very much - i don't weld aluminum all day long , and mine has a wonderfully stable arc on steel . still does fine on AL, just not as fast
as a synchrowave .

lincoln , (as well as DoAll) has docs for nearly every welder they've ever made . try a different browser---chrome/firefox/ie10 , whatever-- if it won't work.

My former workplace has one of these machines; they are usually workhorses. Once the issue is fixed I'm sure it will do just fine. It doesn't have all the AC adjustments like the newer machines but it gets the job done.

Machine has 2 boards

Likely the fuse blown on one of them.

Have you cleaned and set the spark gap?

Is the start switch working?

Down load the manual and follow the trouble shooting guide.

Machine has 2 boards

Likely the fuse blown on one of them.

Have you cleaned and set the spark gap?

Is the start switch working?

Down load the manual and follow the trouble shooting guide.

If your talking about the "On/Off" switch it was on when I plugged it in, I turned it off and on a couple times then let the smoke out.

I'm not going to touch it anymore, I have a friend that will look at it after he returns from Canada

I dont favor lincoln tig welders. their mig machines are okay. they are best known for their stick machines. all of their stick machines are beasts.

There are two circuit boards on a Lincoln Idealarc TIG/Stick 250/250. There is a removable cover at the bottom of the front panel.

I've owned two of them in the past 20 years. They are a nice machine when in good order. Sadly, there's no support for them.

X-1.jpg

there is a circuit board

right in the front 4 screws

transformer just runs the fan and contacter

double check your voltage taps

you can just run 110 without the transformer until you get your prolems worked out

Back